PDA

View Full Version : Totally different for me

Dumay de Boulle
07-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi all...I am really trying something here I have never done before. Had this guy on sunday playing in the water about 15m from my vehicle. There were other vehicles in front of me so I decided not to go with a wider lens so I stayed with the 500 as to not get hoods and roof's in the image. I would like to hear thoughts and opinions as I have just recently started with B&W stuff so still very new and also this kind of stuff is also new to me.

Canon 1D MKIII
Canon 500 f4 L IS
AV f7.1
TV 1/400 Hand Held
Exp +0.33
Evaluative metering
ISO 400
AWB
RAW file processed in CS5 iMac

Almost full frame some off top and bottom...Crits appreciated:S3:

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Dumay - fun to experiment and this is different in a good way. I like the comp and the textures. If it were mine I would try to tone down the water a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Dumay - I like this a lot...let me tell you why...obviously ellies are great for this kind of thing due to the textures and details in their skin...but what makes this for me is the shape of the trunk. I don't know if you are familiar with the "Golden Mean"? (Google it if you're not sure).

This is what the Golden Mean/Golden Ratio looks like graphically - and you can probably guess where I'm going with this :w3:

I try to use it as a compositional guideline just as often as the "rule-of-thirds" as it adds another dimension to an image.

Regarding the water, I would go even brighter with it - more high key...like my hippo shot a few weeks back...use some selective burning to try and make it look natural? :S3:

Nancy Bell
07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
This one makes me think. I love everything about the elephant, texture, detail, that one lovely tusk and as Morkel mentions, the shape of the trunk. Continuing with Morkel's suggestion of even removing/reducing the grays of the water, especially above the trunk. Also, if you can, a little more room in front of the trunk, which would make me feel how this elephant reached and then curled the trunk back to his mouth, scooping the water.

Dumay de Boulle
07-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys...I like it too, but would like to hear some more thoughts on the High key and B&W experts.

DanWalters
07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I like the creative composition. Like the texture in the trunk and the little splash of water under the tusk.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Why not? It works for me but I feel the reflection on the trunk is a bit bright on my monitor. Super detail.

Steve Canuel
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Excellent detail and a nicely composed image.