PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goats

DanWalters
07-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Captured a couple of weeks ago. Mount Evans, Colorado. There were some distracing elements on the sides, so I went for a tighter crop, also to focus more on the interaction. Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D Mark2
300mm f/4L
1/1250 sec f/6.3
ISO 160
RAW

Jamie Douglas
07-26-2011, 12:33 AM
A sweet moment. Though, I might be inclined to try a square crop as I find myself distracted by the OOF fur on the right. Just a thought.

Jamie Douglas
07-26-2011, 12:38 AM
My take...

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Hi Dan, goes to show the MKII is still up there with the best, great detail & colour, the textures in the coat work nicely set against that clear blue sky. Nice interaction as you say and I think Jamie's crop still conveys that, but removes the OOF white to the RH edge. Personally I prefer the OP because of the composition and the kids leg resting under the body, however if you were able to do a little magic in PS it would be a very arresting image.:5

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
07-26-2011, 04:03 AM
I'm loving seeing all these wonderful goats. Steve makes some good suggestions. Love the expressions.

Dumay de Boulle
07-26-2011, 05:01 AM
I like the intimate moment captured and I like Jamie's crop (not a fan of square but works here). Lovely textures and those amazing blue skies are awesome there.

DanWalters
07-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the comments and the crop suggestion Jamie.

noelle zaleski
07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
awwww.... you have captured a nice tender moment.

The closed eye on the mama tells such a sweet story :S3:

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Very sweet moment. I agree with Steve about the leg under the kid. Nice detail and color.

TFS,
Rachel

Tom Redd
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Dan, great moment captured, very tender. I would clone out the OOF white above the baby's leg and this is a fantastic shot, as has been suggested. Congrats!

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
A real cute moment here! I love the OP as posted as I don't find the hint of OOF fur on the RHS can remotely distract me from the tender moment in the centre :t3:5.

Nice work Dan...

Nancy Bell
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Having just been there, I know how nice it feels to capture such a sweet moment. Beautiful light and detail in the goats. If it were mine I would try to do something with that bright bit on the far right which I suspect is another goat in the distance.

DanWalters
07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks again!

Marina Scarr
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Dan:

Interesting behavior between the kid and the yearling, since I mostly witnessed aggression between them rather than tenderness. I have a feeling they must have been very tired. So this is a really special moment/behavior captured. As much as I like seeing the leg under the kid, the OOF white is quite distracting to me. Since I am not big on removing objects, I think I would have to go with the repost. Truly nicely seen and captured in wonderful light and you handled the whites well. Wish I had been shooting next to you for this one.

Jamie Douglas
07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
No worries Dan. It seems I am on my own with the crop suggestion :)

Tin Man Lee
07-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Very sweet!!! I love it. The OP shows how little the kid is, while the repost is very clean with less distraction, its hard to choose. I agree with Steve, maybe some PS to get rid of the distraction on the right hand side of the OP.
The closed eye really added tenderness and makes this a winner! The texture and sweet light are fantastic, i know its very hard to get one without harsh shadow for this interaction!

Steve Canuel
07-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Nice composition of this tender moment. Exposure and detail look real good.