PDA

View Full Version : Romancing The Float

Norm Dulak
07-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Canon PowerShot S90
f/7.1, 1/1600 sec, ISO 320
Evaluative metering, aperture priority, macro setting
PP: PS CS5, levels, curves, crop & smart sharpen

The mid-Atlantic region has not escaped the heat wave afflicting much of the country. During such times of stress, critters seek water where they can find it. One resource for them is our swimming pool.

So we often see wasps, dragonflies, carpenter bees and other insects alight on the surface of the pool, ingest some water, and then take off. But sometimes these efforts go awry, their wings get wet and they become unable to fly away, and they drown.

Some wasps, including the one shown here, avoid this difficulty by landing on the floats of our Polaris pool cleaner line, and extending their proboscises to drink from those safe, dry perches.

This image was captured by entering the pool with my camera, and patiently waiting for a wasp to land on a float near me. I especially like the pose of the drinking wasp, and the reflections of a fence surrounding the pool on the water.

Comments or suggestions?

Norm

Steve Maxson
07-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi Norm. This is a very nice story-telling image (glad you included the story :S3: ). Looks like the S90 can produce some excellent photos. The wasp is giving you the perfect pose, you have an abundance of DOF, and I like the diagonal comp. Very well done.

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Norn,
Cool! I like the story and while not the biggest fan of man made objects.....it works with the story very well! The small camera does give VG IQ! I'd imagine you didn't want to risk the "big rig" in the pool!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice story telling image, I like the pose. I think I would like the wasp to be a bit brighter.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree with Steve on the image quality for that camera. I like this alot and the exposure looks great. Although I do like as posted, my only suggestion would beto try to cleanup some of the water reflection marks in between the white lines top of image.

Norm Dulak
07-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Not to worry, I won't get in the habit of photographing artificial structures! :S3:

But now if you'll excuse me, the temperature is rising and I'm heading for the pool!! :bg3:

Norm