PDA

View Full Version : One more silhouette

Fred Canter
07-25-2011, 03:45 PM
While not a high key silhouette, let's see if you think it works or not.
Shot set up by using a two color concrete wall as the background, with a hole in the wall providing backlighting. This is a favorite perch of the hummingbird and I tried to get the backlight lined up with the bird, although the bird never landed exactly where i wanted. I did get this, though the pose was a bonus. Some may choose to repair the damaged feather, but at least for now I opted to leave it.
Another Green-throated Carib

Arthur Morris
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I like it a lot. The light coming through the wings is very sweet. The lower parts of the bright areas are a bit too bright. As presented here a crop from the bottom would improve this a lot.

Fred Canter
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I like it a lot. The light coming through the wings is very sweet. The lower parts of the bright areas are a bit too bright. As presented here a crop from the bottom would improve this a lot.

Okay Artie, here's the crop of about half the bottom and darkened the lower bright spots, although they still may need a little more.

Arthur Morris
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Much, much better Good job on toning down the brights. I would actually like to see it with a bit more below as the image is now a bit top heavy :). The bit secret to bird and nature photography is attention to small detail. (Not trying to be a pain!!)

Fred Canter
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Much, much better Good job on toning down the brights. I would actually like to see it with a bit more below as the image is now a bit top heavy :). The bit secret to bird and nature photography is attention to small detail. (Not trying to be a pain!!)
Never a pain, they whole reason is to learn! Certain compositions give me problems when it comes to the crop and I probably pay too much attention to the perch, as I'll get the bird where I want it and then not like the perch position.

Cheryl Slechta
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Fred, I love the silhoutte and the bg colors especially. He looks like he's conducting a symphony. I'll defer the crop to Artie:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Fred, love the bird's pose and the lighting. Very nicely captured! Agree with Arthur on adding a bit back to the bottom. Not sure how you feel about retouching, but if I might repair the split in the wing if it were mine. Again very nice work!

Arthur Morris
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Never a pain, they whole reason is to learn! Certain compositions give me problems when it comes to the crop and I probably pay too much attention to the perch, as I'll get the bird where I want it and then not like the perch position.

Nobody ever said it would be easy :)

denise ippolito
07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Fred, Sweet light coming through the wings. Nice sharp head and the pose is lovely. I agree w/ Artie's crop suggestions. Nice work!

John Ippolito
07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Fred, the translucent wings are wonderful in this lovely silhouette composition. Agree with Artie in the crop. I tried it in a browser crop and it looks even better. Nice work!

Indranil Sircar
07-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Beautiful composition, Fred. Great opportunity and composed it so well to capture this lovely silhouette with that soft light and colors. Agree with the crop suggestions.

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey Fred,
Since it's OOTB....might consider painting the same upper sepia tone at a lowered opacity into the brighter areas below. Then try the crop. Easy tweak to take this up a notch.

NathanBeaulne
07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Agree with the crop suggestions and what amazing hue of colours in the background with the translucent wings, awesome perch as well!