PDA

View Full Version : Bottle, Lamp and Bowl

Bill Dix
07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
This isn't very far out of the box, but I thought I'd post it and see if it resonates with anyone. On our trip to photograph Puffins in Maine, we detoured to FDR's "camp" at Campobello just across the border in Canada, and took a few shots inside. This is full-frame, with just a touch of watercolor filter applied. Since it was a museum-like environment, I couldn't move the elements; otherwise I might have moved the bowl a tad to the right. Removed the lamp cord from the "kerosene" lamp. C&C appreciated.

D90 | 18-70mm @ 62mm | ISO 320 | 1/25s @ f/11 | +0.3 EV |HH braced against wall.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Hey Bill,
I hate it when you can't move things! I think you did this very well.....especailly HH!!! I don't feel the bowl is a issue at all....although your self assesment was a good one. I feel it is more important that you got seperation on the lamp andn the bottle is touching the post in the BG.....all in all this works very well for me and you did an excellent job composing.

Dave Mills
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Bill, just to add to Roman's comments. Not easy to get the right exposure on this due to the dark and bright areas but you handled that well getting detail in both. The filter selected works well with the comp for just the right feel...

Hazel Grant
07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
yes, I think that over processing for more OOTB effect would lose the museum quality. Re the bowl....maybe just a slight crop to make it less intrusive, as you felt. Nice capture especially with such light variables.

Judy Howle
07-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I really like the composition and lighting and the watercolor filter really worked well here. Nice work!

Cheryl Slechta
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Bill, this has such a peaceful, earthy feel to me. It reminds me of a Vermeer painting. Well seen and executed:S3:

denise ippolito
07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Bill, Nice job with this one. I like the subtle use of the filter. Looks like you did the best you could w/o moving anything. Very nicely done. I wish I had made the trip there when I went to Maine. :S3:

Indranil Sircar
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill, I like it a lot! Given with all the variables, you have captured it well. I like your subtle processing here. Another fun idea would be to layer this on the original and mask back the tree outside! Nicely done.

Bill Dix
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Susan Candelario
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
What a lovely image you have created, Bill. The elements, comp, colors and your gentle use of the watercolor filter make this a fine image.

Bill Dix
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you Susan.