PDA

View Full Version : Dipper

Krijn Trimbos
07-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Some shots literally cost you your equipment :2eyes2:

This was shot last year December when 2 dippers decided to spend their winter season in The Netherlands close to my home. They normally don't occur here and can only be seen during migration every now and then. So you can imagine all the attention the 2 Dippers got during their winter holiday in The Netherlands. At first I was a little reluctant to join the photography circus, which it normally is when rare birds are approachable and stay in The Netherlands for a longer while. But eventually I caved seeing some nice shots of this beautiful species from other photographers. I went to their location 2 times, this is a shot of the first time when the ditch banks they were foraging in were covered with snow. The second time later during the winter season it cost me my equipment and dry clothes. I forgot that melted snow in combination with likens and moss can be quite slippery. Luckily I had insurance :S3: so it was all worth it in the end!

Anyway here is a shot of the Dipper when snow covered most of the Netherlands. Hope you like it,

Canon EOS 7D 1/160 f8
Canon 500mm L IS USM F4
G1325, ManfrottoHSV501

Sachin Saraf
07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
That's a cool looking bird and is worth the adventure...

You managed to expose whites on neck very well and also separated it nicely from snowy white BG...Lovely details on feather as well..nice eye contact and catch light...If mine I would crop it from right till the black spot in the water...

Seppo Harmala
07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
We call these guys as 'Reverends' due to white collar. Hard to get the exposure right with all that white and black combination but you managed excellent. For me the head angle is not the best possible but goes nicely also as it is.

Ofer Levy
07-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Great image! Won't change a thing! Composition is spot on IMO.

Daniel Cadieux
07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Very nice image...I'm surprised there aren't more comments than this. Love the wintry feel. Good story too, and I can relate about the photography circus (I tend to avoid those too and missed some rarities because of it:e3).