View Full Version : Cerambycidae---Longhorn beetles

yeshwanth gowda
07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Canon 40D, sigma 105mm, f-5.6,1/6000,ISO 400

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/5950712318_5e13046963_b.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Yeshwanth,
I love action shots so the whole concept is great for me but I do believe you have some tech issues. While the BG looks good as does the perch.....looks like you just missed teh focus point.....although given the difficulty of the shot.....very understandable! If the focus was on the face.....this would be much stronger but as presented, just a bit too OOF for me. I do think you could go a bit down on the SS and up the iso to 640. Yes it would introduce noise (easy fix) and more wing blur but I think it would be acceptable for my tastes and the little bit of added DOF may have made a big difference.

Steve Maxson
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Yeshwanth. The degree of difficulty for this type of shot is off the charts and I applaud you for even attempting this. The vertical orientation of the beetle and the legs splayed out to the side are interesting. You did a good job stopping the action, but as Roman points out, the focus point is a bit off - being on the beetle's elytra rather than its head. With a better focus point, this would be a prize winner! :S3: