PDA

View Full Version : ?, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 12:37 AM
We returned to Wilson's Bay in the morning, that is where I shot WB#2; I cannot remember whether this was shot at WB or we had arrived at Bob's Cove for the evening sunset shoot. :oops: To be provided.

The high sun made everything flat; I processed it a bit moody; your thoughts?

On a different topic - size reduction/sharpening halos: The unreduced and sharpened TIFF has no halo; the reduced TIFF had a definite halo that was increased a bit by sharpening. Sampling about 1/2" above the halo line, I went over the halo to blend it out. Are "you" also doing this for the purpose of posting on the forums with significantly compressed images, or am I doing something wrong in the compression/sharpening process? For reduction I am using CS% image reduction and reducing first at 50% and then a series of 10% steps to arrive at 800. All assistance greatly appreciated.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 25 Apr 11; 2:20PM
Light condition: sunny afternoon
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:35mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 50
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1.3 sec
Aperture: f/20
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Vari ND
Crop: 10% off LHS
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!http://www.naturescapes.net/memberpics/35921-1104_new_zealand139.jpg

Rachel Hollander
07-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Jay - I like this one a lot. The waves give it an added dimension. I recently started following Steve Kaluski's step by step process for posting that can be found at the top of the Wildlife Forum and I seem to have less compression issues.

TFS,
Rachel

John Platt
07-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice, I am going to check out the process you mentioned.

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Jay - I like this one a lot. The waves give it an added dimension. I recently started following Steve Kaluski's step by step process for posting that can be found at the top of the Wildlife Forum and I seem to have less compression issues.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks Rachael. I asked a couple of questions over there that you might also be able to answer. :S3:

Dave Mills
07-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Jay, IMO this is one of your best images. All the technicals handled well along with beautiful light. Good placement of the rock with the soft water adding to the image. Just enough sky with plenty of detail. Nicely done!!

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Jay,

There is a lot of nice detail here Jay, as well as color and appealing composition. But it is lacking punch.

In the repost I used Nik Color Efex Pro - Tonal Contrast. I then sharpened the whole image equality. If this where mine, I would perform selective sharpening on the rocks, water and BG peaks and finish up with output sharpening.

This may be a bit over-sharpened but I leave it to you to improve from here.

dankearl
07-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Robert's repost is really good, but Jay took the shot.
Congrats to both.
As far as compression of files goes, maybe I don't understand, but I don't use the BPN for uploading files as it always tells me my files are too large and I don't want to compress them.
I have continued to process RAW files in NX2, convert to JPEG and use photobucket to upload the files to and then paste them on posts here.
I do not get thumbnails which may decrease viewers, but it just seems like a needless step to compress files for posting here.
They post fine the way I do it, maybe someone can explain why or how I should use the BPN system for posting photos here?

Jay Gould
07-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Robert, thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure I want it quite that strong. I will give it a play and do a RP. I think I want to tone down the upper right clouds too. Cheers,

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Jay,
I led my workshop yesterday.....so sorry for the late reply. I think the OP was a very nice capture.....although in the field.....remember to get lower as this would minimize the distance between the rocks and the far shore. This is most useful when the MG isn't that interesting......even dropping the legs down 6 inches can make a big impact so just keep that in mind for in the field. I like the direction Robert took it.....and I for one an astonished:eek: that you don't like the bolder version:bg3:. Very nicely done and looking forward to your tweaks!

Jay Gould
07-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks Robert, I applied your Nik suggestion with a lowered opacity and did a selective sharpening to different parts of the image except for the white water in the lower third. Sized and did a weak overall output sharpening.