PDA

View Full Version : My Leaf or Yours

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi friends. This is my first post to this forum. I love shooting macro and am looking forward to sharing images as well as learning from all of you.
This image was shot with my
Canon 1DMIII
Sigma 150 2.8
ISO 320f5.6 @1/250 HH
Removed a distracting stem, selective sharpening, small crop for rotation purposes then added needed canvas
C&C always welcome.

Nancy Bell
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
This is a fantastic angle you used. I love the flat leaf platform for the grasshopper. And the glow of red in the background is lovely. Maybe a bit more sharpening on the grasshopper head.

Welcome!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks Nancy. Yeah it could be sharper and i think it suffered from camera movement a little. I sharpened it 2x so I think it's about it.:w3

Steve Maxson
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Cheryl and a big welcome to the Macro forum. This image has a lot going for it - the eye-level view of the grasshopper giving you a nice pose, the soft natural light, a nice comp, and an interesting background. The sharpness looks good within your DOF, though, IMO, the image would be even stronger with increased depth to get more of the grasshopper and the front edge of the leaf a little sharper. You might have used ISO 400 and f/8 and still had enough ss for HH - depending on wind and how steady you can hold the camera. :S3: If you are OK with such things, you might consider removing some of the bits of debris from the leaf. Overall, this is very well done and I hope to see more of your work.

Jason Stander
07-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice shot Cheryl... I like the comp... like the fact the flower is in the bg to create perspective... would have maybe liked more dof... with maybe f10 to have more of the grasshopper in focus... otherwise VVWD!:S3:

Don Lacy
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Cheryl, Wonderful comp and creativity using the OOF flower in the BG. I am ok with the DOF all you need is the selectively sharpen the little hopper to make it work as I did here.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Cheryl,
I was out yesterday running a workshop.....so sorry for the late reply. Welcome to the forum! I think Steve covered my recommendations very well so I won't repeat but you have captured an excellent angle and like the others.....just a bit more DOF would have done the trick as I like the soft/sharp/soft layering. On the Mark lll.....keep in mind that you could go to ISO 640 or 800 and not worry too much about the noise as it handles it very well......especially on something that is very well lit.
Very nice first post and looking forward to more of your work! Welcome to the forum again!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Cheryl, Wonderful comp and creativity:5 using the OOF flower in the BG. I am ok with the DOF all you need is the selectively sharpen the little hopper to make it work as I did here.

Thanks everybody for the input yes I agree about the depth of field I wish I had more On this particular image I was playing around with my aperture and did shoot quite a bit of frames with the grasshopper in different places as he kept moving around.
Don I did sharpen that darn grasshopper do you mind telling me what your settings were for sharpening.? Thanks so much for working on that image for me it looks great.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forum Cheryl!
I like the eye level view and perspective. Nice light and color combination. I like this as presented with shallow DOF, more dof would also been nice... altough the flower in the BG would look different when stopped down.
Keep them coming...looking forward for your next one.

Don Lacy
07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks everybody for the input yes I agree about the depth of field I wish I had more On this particular image I was playing around with my aperture and did shoot quite a bit of frames with the grasshopper in different places as he kept moving around.
Don I did sharpen that darn grasshopper do you mind telling me what your settings were for sharpening.? Thanks so much for working on that image for me it looks great.
Hi Cheryl, For this since I was in a hurry I just used a plugin by Photo Kit but if I was to do it in PS I would have used smart sharpen at radius 1 and played around with the amount to see what looked good and would have used a layer to paint it on the Hopper only.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Cheryl, For this since I was in a hurry I just used a plugin by Photo Kit but if I was to do it in PS I would have used smart sharpen at radius 1 and played around with the amount to see what looked good and would have used a layer to paint it on the Hopper only.
Thanks Don, I do sharpen with unsharp mask at 100% 2.0 radius. Don't know my layering yet and I really need to go there!