PDA

View Full Version : Gnu glance.

Marc Mol
07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Out of the many hundreds of images I took from this creek crossing, this gnu was one of the few who gave me a nice sideways glance (possibly the bull from this herd?)
as they proceeded on their migratory route through the serengeti.

D3s 500VR 1/500s ISO1600@f/5.6 Nth Serengeti Tanzania. Oct 2010.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Hilary Hann
07-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi Marc, whilst I like the way the wildebeest is looking at you (well caught) I don't think the IQ is holding up and I'm not sure why. It looks over sharpened but in a way that may have been compensating for some movement perhaps. Someone with better analytical skills may have a better idea why.
You don't say what sort of crop you've used, it may just be a matter of having to crop in too far.
Unusual to see just one in this situation, nice capture.

Marc Mol
07-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks Hilary

This is full frame, with only a minimal amount of USM on the head only.
It's interesting that you comment on the image quality, as I wasn't particulary happy with most of the gnus that I captured at this location, thinking that 1/500s would have been sufficient.....perhaps not?:2
Thinking back to this moment, I may have left that darn drop-in CP filter on.

Rachel Hollander
07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Marc - like the head up pose and comp but agree with Hilary about it looking oversharpened and not usual IQ. Will be interested to hear if the experts think the CP could be the problem.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
07-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Like the look, the 3 legs in the air pose, and the splashing water but agree the IQ looks off from your usual standards.

peter delaney
07-25-2011, 03:53 AM
Hi Marc.

I am sure you had a wonderful experience,
I think its just down to the occasion getting the better of you ... 1/500 is bit to low to get a sharp image ,(hence the movement in GNus legs ) Its more of a lottery at this SS. In my experience shooting from any vehicle whether using bean bag/monopod/wimberly+car bracket you need a minimun of 1/1000 with that big lens . I normally shoot wide open @ f4 occasionally closing down to f8 ... I have my settings in at least 3 banks on menu D3 and D3S , on one of them I use Auto Iso with min SS of 1/1000. I switch to this when I know I want to capture/freeze action.. with worrying about settings I just concentrate on composition...:S3:

Marc Mol
07-25-2011, 04:23 AM
I have my settings in at least 3 banks on menu D3 and D3S , on one of them I use Auto Iso with min SS of 1/1000. I switch to this when I know I want to capture/freeze action.. with worrying about settings I just concentrate on composition...:S3:

Thanks for the input Peter and some good advice. I have a similar custom setting for bird action and it might pay to have one also for mammals.
I think inadvertantly leaving the CP filter on most likely killed the quality as having to go up to ISO1600 and therefore giving me only 1/500s should have tweaked something in my photographers brain.:e3:e3

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Cool splashes and like the legs in the air...I would also say IQ is lacking but also feel the BG grass just too busy to make the WB stand out. They are one of those difficult subjects to create an interesting image from especially when they are on there own.

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Marc, a lot has been said already. I think Peter hit the nail on the head regarding settings, and you are probably right in stating that you forgot the CP in :e3. We all suffer from these brain-freezes some or other time when in the moment of the hot action :t3.