PDA

View Full Version : Hot Spring Sunset Yellowstone

Jess Lee
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Autumn sunset lines up nicely on some of the hot springs in Yellowstone. It took a little patience but we caught this one epupting during some pretty nice light.
1DS mk lll, 24 mm T/S, f 5, 1/30. ISO 400
Thanks for looking

Bob Miller
07-23-2011, 07:24 PM
jesse...You have a beautiful sky but you need some shadow detail in the foreground. You could try shadow/ highlights in Photoshop or possibly do a double processing. Other alternatives include a graduated neutral density filter when you take the shot.

Don Railton
07-24-2011, 07:28 AM
I love the colours and the sky in this jess. I agree with Bob that a little extra detail in the foreground would be a lot better and I am sure you could do a little more with what you have if you so choose. But I like it just as it is too...

DON

Jess Lee
07-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your input Guys! Yes it would be pretty simple to put a little more detail in the geyser terraces. In this shot I like the perceived mystery of the lack of detail.

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 10:43 AM
To capture the photo is great; to be located near Yellowstone - Wow!

I don't mind the hot spots in this image as it ties in with the hot spots causing the geyser.

Enjoyed looking at your blog and galleries; too bad that the BLM is getting away with screwing the public yet again.

Looking forward to more of your posts; 6 :eek: ain't enough!! :w3

Richard Bledsoe
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Very good as is, you are right to de empathize the foreground. Not every photo need shadow detail.

Richard
http://picasaweb.google.com/RitchBledsoe

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Jess,

I would agree the lack of FG detail is not helping your image. However, I do not feel including more detail here is the answer. IMO, a crop of the FG and left and right sides is needed. TO better illustrate my meaning I have uploaded that crop with some opening up of shadows in the clouds. The bast aspects of the image are the geyser and the sunset, and that is what I have tried to maximize. Opening up shadows lightened the FG water and created a good framing element at the bottom.

I got some weird color skewing in the clouds and steam. The original would fare better.

Dave Mills
07-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Jess, I like what Robert did with the image on the left and right and opening up the shadows giving it alot more impact however I do like more room in the foreground. I would lighten it a bit though...

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Jess, I like what Robert did with the image on the left and right and opening up the shadows giving it alot more impact however I do like more room in the foreground. I would lighten it a bit though...

Yep, I could go with a bit more in the FG. :)

I was looking to maintain water only on the lower boundary.

Jay Gould
07-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Robert, another top notch RP! This is a winner.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey Jess, Been away so sorry for the late reply. Aways tough when the sun breaks through at great fountain geyser....I would use Roberts repost as a base but I would toned down both the red sat and brightness in the sun area. This one still needs a bit more tweaking.

I've got 2 few more months and I will be out there!