PDA

View Full Version : Fountains Catherdral Yorkshire

Don Railton
07-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Hi All
Took this a few years ago with my trusty Coal fired 10D. It was a good reality check to go back and compare its images against my current 1d4. This image was taken on a very cold Yorkshire day I enjoyed with my daughter who was living in the area at the time... I removed a light from the far side of the trough, apart from that its full frame warts and all. Minimal processing and a bit of sharpening after resizing. I posted to see what others thought... So feel free to comment.

10D with 24/70mm @ 24mm
ISO 400
1/30 sec @ F10 on tripod
AP, eval metering at 0 bias

DON

Dave Mills
07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Don, Interesting view looking through 2 portals. Good detail throughout and well exposed. Would have liked a bit more room on top.Going through France I ran across similar images and shooting them requires thoughtful positioning where six inches to the rt or left can make a big difference. You positioned yourself well...

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Don, looks like you handled things very well. Love the stone work and the view through the portals as Dave mentions.

Bob Miller
07-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Nice image with good depth and lots of detail to look at

Don Railton
07-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for your input Guys...

I have to admit that my daughter pointed out I have made a spelling mistake, Cathedral should have been spelt 'Abbey'... ie its Fountain Abbey.

DON

Rachel Hollander
07-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Don - nicely seen and captured. I like the repeating arches. At the very bottom, there seems to be some trash on the longest stone, I would clone it out.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Don,

I would agree with the above comments but emphasize the one on including more the arch's top as well as personally liked to see more of the stone walk.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Hey Don,
Been away leading my workshop so sorry for late reply.....Great comments above and echoing roberts suggestion above. I would try and tone down the sky a touch......not too much as it will look weird but you did well overall composing this and nice to see that you are finding your own growth over the years!

Ron Bernstein
07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I agree with all the comments. My only reservation with this image was the dullness of the sky, so it would be interesting to see a version incorporating the suggestions to tone down the sky and clone out the object on the long stair. Congrats!