PDA

View Full Version : Orange

jack williamson
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
This blooms in my yard, a lilly I think. I probably should have tried for a faster SS as there

was a slight breeze.

Nikon D700, 105mm f2.8, tripod.

1/60, f16, iso400.

Adjusted wb, exposure, blacks in acr, usm in cs3. Rotated to vertical.

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Jack,
Colors and light look VG as does the DOF. I am a bit torn on the comp though....I really like the top 1/2....but where some of the petals? overlap.....just feels out of place....as well as the LLC. Make sense? I think you have a great subject there.....you just need to play around with different comps.....and not always that easy! As presented I would just crop from the bottom......eliminating the LLC petal and then just patch in the sliver above it.....I wouldn't crop it out as the petal edge in the ULC add another layer of depth. An easy tweak to a nice image.

Don Lacy
07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Like the colors and lines but like Roman I would crop off the bottom as I prefer the lines created by the larger petals

Steve Maxson
07-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Jack. You have some very cool colors and patterns here plus good sharpness within your DOF. I'm with Roman regarding the comp. The top half of the image is very attractive and the bud in the bottom half is also interesting - it's like there are 2 main points of interest vying for my attention - I think your image would be stronger with just one. You could try a number of different comps in the field if your flowers are still blooming. As presented, I prefer the top portion of the image and like Roman and Don, would suggest a crop off the bottom. :S3:

jack williamson
07-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks all, after reading your comments I can definately see the better crop.

Jack

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I do like your idea here but feel that it makes for 2 separate images if that makes sense? If this were mine I'd be tempted to crop it square from the top down to right where the 2 (new) leaves have formed. I would leave that nice ruffle just above that point which creates a really nice abstract with great lines,slelective focus and a neat design.:5