PDA

View Full Version : Along the California Coast

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Working through some older files to stay out of the 100+ heat. One of the few things that I like to photograph that are non nature.....are lighthouses! This one is south of San Francisco. Raining and foggy.....normal SF weather! This was before I went digital.....but "borrowed" my wife's Rebel my Yosemite tour I was leading. I used the vari-nd filter on this also.....had trouble keeping it free of rain drops!
Canon Rebel with the 17-40mm lens @17mm at f22 for 25 seconds and ISO 100 all tripod mounted. Had to do lens correction for perspective and slight rotation as the buble level was back in the car! Saved at 63 quality to fit.

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice scene here Roman...I too find it hard to include human elements in my landscape shots...might include a road now and again for a leading line :w3.

I like how the foliage upfront adds some vibrance. Nice water blur too. You could probably get some more discernable detail out of the far BG by adding some selective LCE there?

Bob Miller
07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
hey Roman....I like this alot. I like the colors in the foreground and the light in the lighthouse. The water blur is done well. I wonder what it would look like in B&W ? Also, I wonder if bringing up the whites just a bit on the lighthouse might draw your attention more to it

Dave Mills
07-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Roman, I like how you handled the image. Alot of the image is about mood so i wouldn't want more detail in the backround with their being just enough of it there to convey that feeling. Lots of foreground interest using the flowery cliff along with the rocks below. A small nit is I might take out the very small clipped rock on the far left....

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Roman, very nice comp. Agree with Dave on the small clipped rock. Very hot up here also. There is something to be said for bulky winter clothing and frozen finger tips :S3:

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Mate, I would seriously consider removing both the small and the large entering rocks/clusters on the LHS. I think it would give the whole image a flow from the LH edge into the image and up the hill towards the lighthouse.

While I agree with Morel on generally excluding hand of man, in this case the story is about the lighthouse.

Rachel Hollander
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Roman - I like the comp and the mood. I might clone out the person sitting on the chair at the base of the lighthouse.

TFS,
Rachel

John Platt
07-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice image, I agree on the smallest rock on the left, but I would leave the rest alone, it conveys the mood very well.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks all! Why didn't I think of the rock and person eviction???? Will do and great suggestions!

dankearl
07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Very nice and moody, I don't mind the rock or the people.
When you start taking out stuff like that, it may never end!

Ron Bernstein
07-26-2011, 09:50 PM
I like it just the way it is, because I think this version creates just the right mood. I see no need to heal anything. I love the moodiness of the waves and the saturation in the bank.