Nikon D3S 600mm plus 1.7 TC , 1/1250 f8 iso 1600

Harshad Barve
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
This is amazing image man. Love the light and pose
TFS

Charles Glatzer
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Peter,

I like this image as presented. Would expect the subject detail in print to be a bit lower overall being taken at that distance due to atmospheric degradation, and using the 600 with the 1.7x, especially near wide open?

Best,

Chas

Dumay de Boulle
07-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Love the angle and the light is incredible... i love the gold grass and the blue sky. Nice one Peter!

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Peter - nicely done, great comp, light and colors.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I love the light and angle here Peter...I do find myself wishing the grass was just that wee bit shorter so the face was in the clear, but what can we do :w3.

It might be my tired eyes, or it might be in sync with Chas' comments regarding the 1.7x converter wide open and the distance-to-subject, but IMHO this doesn't have the IQ we've become accustomed to from you? :e3:2 Maybe it just needs a hint of additional sharpening on the rhino's head as presented?

Marc Mol
07-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Loving the overall colours here Peter, only small nit would have been to see a little more of the head.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
07-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi Peter, this image has a nice feel to it, love the overall combination of colours on this one. I agree with Morkel that a bit more selective sharpening wouldn't hurt, however I know you like to keeps things to a minimum. :w3 Can't help wonder about the split for the BKG, as I like it as presented, but would a thirds work too?

TFS
Steve

DanWalters
07-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Great like. Like the OOF grasses in the foreground.

peter delaney
07-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi

Thanks for all the comments, appreciated. I really love this "imperfect" image just for catching a Black Rhino in the wide open grasslands with glorious light.. I had been wishing it all week ...just wished he had been closer!!

Chas , agree with your point , will be printing it later this week on fine art matt paper which I find helps with this kind of situation. I hate using the old TC will do research on the new ones see if they have improver.. in this case better getting the shot than not... did get some without TC as well..

Morkel... agree , thats downside of TCs..

Steve ,

totally agree about crop , cant believe I missed it :eek:.. have reposted crop with some more selective sharpening..

Thanks again to all !

Harshad Barve
07-25-2011, 04:22 AM
Re-post took this over the top :cheers:
TFS

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Hi Peter, I did look at the crop before posting my comment, however I do feel the OP has something more I think, perhaps its the variations in the sky I liked, were as the repost losses that feel? Could go either way.

Steve :w3

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Like the crop!! Ditto Peter, a super sighting and a shot any of us would've taken with any means at our disposal. I've heard decent things about the 1.7x though? :e3

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I am gonna go in the other direction here re crop...I may have tried to take off from the bottom and add more to the top. Hope you don't mind I tried my take on the image. Removed the clouds and re-cropped and added more blue to the top.

peter delaney
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Dumay

I contemplated going this route... on the top...and I think after seeing your repost ..its the route I will take..so thanks for that!

but I have to say I prefer the OP crop on the bottom..

thanks again Dumay..:S3: