:S3:

A snowy captured on Playa Grande, Contadora Island
got low, was pretty shy and kept his distance
1/2500, F8, Ev -1, ISO 800
USUAL 40 D and 100/400/1.4
NR to BG , usm

gail bisson
07-22-2011, 05:19 AM
I like the comp. Rolling wave on the left really adds to this picture. I like how the egret pops on the picture. I do wish we could see his yellow feet and find the huge boulder behind him a bit distracting.
Gail

Randy Stout
07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Richard:

Good comments from Gail. I would have considered using larger f/stop to get more isolation from the background, certainly had room to lower ISO and raise shutter speed to allow that change.

I like the basic comp too!

Cheers

Randy

Richard Unsworth
07-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Richard:

Good comments from Gail. I would have considered using larger f/stop to get more isolation from the background, certainly had room to lower ISO and raise shutter speed to allow that change.

I like the basic comp too!

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Gail and Randy

unable on the f stop due to the converter I think Im right in saying I therefore lose 5.6, 6.3 making my best 7.1 - exif does not report this so pic was actually 7.1 ie as wide as poss, and misreported as 8 by me :w3
Comments appreciated and under normal circumstances absolutely correct.

Randy Stout
07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
RIchard:

Sorry I missed the TC bit. Scanned through your settings, but missed that one!

Randy

Richard Unsworth
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
:S3:

No problem, not immediately obvious, and I wish I wasnt **** bent on using it; of course with a mki
things might be different. I get my new 7D on Monday but the same issues will prevail except with the TC I should get better cropability(a new word I just made up:S3:)

On the upside the TC allows for shots that would be just too far away using the TC is IMO the best option for me atm

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Hey Richard,
This is one of those cases that I think you were too low. There has always been debate on that.....but I like to see the feet if possible and not blurred FG. A slightly higher angle would have been my preference as for me.....the blurred FG doesn't work. Hope I didn't start world watr 3 on this thread.....as for my tastes....there is such a thing as too low!

Richard Unsworth
07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey Richard,
This is one of those cases that I think you were too low. There has always been debate on that.....but I like to see the feet if possible and not blurred FG. A slightly higher angle would have been my preference as for me.....the blurred FG doesn't work. Hope I didn't start world watr 3 on this thread.....as for my tastes....there is such a thing as too low!

Interesting; no worries have a bunch of shots from that day w/without feet:S3:
I lked that one for the compo.

Nah - I wasnt too low, the beach was too high lol
as for the war I am sure plenty forum characters that have their own views on that:t3