PDA

View Full Version : Problem with "ghosts" in iages

Joel Haas
07-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Just returned from Brazil and disappointed to find "ghosts" in majority of images. Some Exif data:
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1 1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 2000
Lens: 140 to 400mm
Focal length: 292mm
Subject distance: 655 m
Image size: 545 x 524
White balance: Auto

Help, please!:S3:

Don Railton
07-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Maybe a bit more detailed explanation will help us Joel. I cant see (yet) what you are refering too..

DON

Joel Haas
07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
If you "enlarge" the attached image, I think you can see a "black mirror" image to the right of each pf the branches, and a black "line" just off to the right of the bird.

Don Railton
07-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Joel

I have done that and can see a white rim around the image, this is usually a result of excessive sharpening. On the outside of the white rim is a darker shadow which i think is what you are asking about. Then beyound this darker rim is the normal background colour. So, I think your problem is over sharpening, either by accident or because you have some default set which is over doing it.. You have not stated how you processed the photo but have a play with this (reduce sharpening) and I think the problem will go away..

DON

WIlliam Maroldo
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
What camera and lens? EXIF alone is not helpful. You said you found "ghosts" on the majority of the images? What exactly are you referring to and are you seeing this before post-processing? Were you shooting JPEGs? Your image here is underexposed. regards~Bill

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey Joel,
If you can, take a screen shot of the histogram. given your SS.....should be no ghosting from movement.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Joel,

Agree with Don here. I enlarged the image and saw artifacts consistent with too much sharpening. Tell us more about your workflow and how you sharpened the image. Sharpening is an art and I struggle with it from time to time. What say you.

Joel Haas
07-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Agree with all comments. It is highly likely too much sharpening. Don't remember seeing it before Lightroom processing.....Convert raws with BreezeBrowser Pro, process "tiffs" with Lightroom and export as jpg.

Since then, have been "lightening up" on sharpening.

Other queries, Canon 1D MIII, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM with 2x

Screendump of histogram attached as suggested.

Thanks so much, all!!:S3: