PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do to protect your images?

Duane Noblick
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I hope this topic is allowed here and if it's not by all means remove it. I tried to search for a similar topic but did not find one.

I'm curious to hear what others do to protect their images from use by others without permission. I am relatively new to Avian photography (3 years and still learning thanks to boards like this) but over the last year or so I have been having a problem with the illegal use (not commercially) of my images by people....most I have never met or talked to. At first I was honored someone liked my images so much they just had to have it...but now I see the light and realize most people just take, take, take without asking.

What do you do to protect yourself and your images?

Fred Canter
07-21-2011, 04:13 PM
This is an often talked about topic and the consensus normally is that you don't upload high resolution files. Some will watermark every image, but watermarks can be removed by a skilled editor. At least now it seems to be that when one is caught using an image and removing the watermark there is more of a penalty. The bottom line is the only sure way to protect your image is to not upload it to the Internet. It's a decision that everyone has to weigh and then decide if the risk of having an image stolen is offset by the exposure one gains by uploading photos.
Hopefully the more experienced will weigh in on your post and give some insight.

John Chardine
07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Basically I don't worry about it. Having said this, my web page is produced with Apple's iWeb and in it you can make a setting to disallow downloads by right-clicking. Give it a try!

PS you can always make a screen shot, which you cannot prevent. Like I said, I don't really worry about this too much.

Harshad Barve
07-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Basically I don't worry about it.

Plus one here , If you put image on internet , it is on high risk