PDA

View Full Version : Violet-crowned Hummingbird with flower added oil painting

Gus Hallgren
07-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Folks;

After 2 months of continuous 100+ heat, some days to 118F got a rainy day today and felt like playing.

Looking at the posts I must compliment the members of this forum for their fantastic improvement in OOTB. The quality has improved more than 10 fold 10+ :S3: I love it!

Violet-crowned Hummingbird was captured in Madera Canyon. I added flower with CS5 and created oil painting using free Foto Sketcher, and CS5 for finishing touches. This Hummer has a white breast and never showed up as hot in blinkies or LR3

Comments always welcome & appreciated.

Best regards

Gus

BTW; Must also compliment the technical staff for a much improved posting expeience. Well done! :cheers:

denise ippolito
07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Gus, It's hot here in Jersey too. I like the pose and the composition. Love the background texture and color. I might tone down the reds and whites just a bit if it were mine. Nice work Gus!:S3:

Paul Lagasi
07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
It reached 100 here today...and I am working in a boiler room....:eek:...its a balmy 105 outside my control room.

I like the image as posted, agree about reds and whites but lovely work Gus

Bob Miller
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
HI Gus.....100 here in Md as well
I like the bg but find the reds and whites too saturated. Also, the front wing has what looks like a brown splotch that blends into the bg too unevenly.

Indranil Sircar
07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Beautiful composition, Gus. Nice bg and I like hummer's pose. Agree with Denise on toning down the red. Nicely done.

So far it seems we are having cooler temps here in west coast:c3:

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Hey Gus,
I hate hot weather....so spent all day in the AC. I hope we don;t have a power outage! I think if you give this one some more TLC and adress some of the issues mentioned.....this will shine!

Brendan Dozier
07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Great looking pose and comp, Gus. Good suggestions above, if it were mine, I would give it some more breathing room all around. Nice work!

Andrew McLachlan
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Gus, love the pose. Agree on toning down the reds and whites a bit. Very hot here also.

Gus Hallgren
07-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Hi Folks;

Thank you very much for looking at my Hummer. Everyone of you is on the money with your gentle critiques, saturation and too much contrast a couple of my failings as over sharpening was before i got the message with Alley Oop's big club, As they say, "You can always tell a Swede, but you can't tell him much"

Warm hugs

Gus

Hilary Hann
07-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Great suggestions, I really like this composition.

Freezing cold my end of the world … down to -2C last night. :bg3:

Gus Hallgren
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Great suggestions, I really like this composition.

Freezing cold my end of the world … down to -2C last night. :bg3:

Hi Hilary;

Thanks for the reply & your kind words.

WOW! -2C, sounds like Alaska, though they don;t use Celsius. We live at 3000" and it was 80F at 5 AM this morning.

Best regards

Gus