PDA

View Full Version : Wilson's Bay, South Island, NZ #3

Jay Gould
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM
We returned the next morning to Wilson's Bay in the hopes of a brilliant sunrise , no joy. Only caught one fish worth keeping; hope you like it (after the RP )

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 25 Apr 11; 5 : 53AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length9mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 160
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1.6 sec
Aperture: f/22
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GND & RGND
Crop: some
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey Jay,
You are starting to get the hang of these things:c3:.....I do know compression S**** on landscapes but it appears you have a small halo/lighter area along the ridgeline. I really like the SS you chose for the water....but I wasn't thrilled with the sky...so took this in to PS. Figured I'd give you a bit of a break and show you the crop.....you still need to clean up the ridge glow. Let me know your thoughts.

Robert Amoruso
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I like Roman's crop Jay. I feel a bit more room on the left would have been good so the on-shore water rush was not clipped, but not a deal breaker.

Jay Gould
07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Bob, I am not sure where you want the room on the left, unless you are referring to the wet sand towards the bottom of the image. I agree with Roman's crop; I am also going to clean up my sloppy PP in trying to remove the tiny halo created by compressing and sharpening. I made it worse; not better. I posted to gain the insights of the experts here and on NS so that I could apply all of the suggestions to an RP. I am here to learn and have no problem posting an image that I know is going to be reworked and RPed.

Dave Mills
07-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Jay, first off I like the fact you used the waters edge as a leading line taking the viewer back to the mountains. I like Roman's crop since it tightened the image. The softness created by the SS enhanced the water and the one main cloud over the peaks strenghened the composition.. The halo as previously mentioned otherwise nice image!

Don Railton
07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Jay

I like this shot of Wilsons inlet the best of your recently presented. Romans crop or OP not sure, not much in that for me but I do feel like I want to see more of the beach. Did you take a landscape orientated shot at the same place? this might have sacrificed the sky for more beach and water...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I love the depth of detail and hues here Jay...you're cranking the quality landscapes out these days! :5

Bob Miller
07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi jay....beautiful shot....like your composition . You might consider bringing out the gorgeous ridge glow a bit more and if it were mine I would lighten the surf just a bit to make that line even stronger :5

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Here is a complete rework - works?