PDA

View Full Version : The Faerie Queen

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi Everyone,
It's been a while :eek:
Sometimes life just gets in the way...

Anyway, here is an image from my trip to the Farne Islands in June. I set myself the challenge of capturing a less literal view of flight by using slower shutter speeds, deliberately over-exposing and looking into the light.

1D 3 300 f/2.8
ISO 125
1/30th f/14
Exp comp +2.67

In PP I cropped, added a smidge of canvas to the left, and as there was a very pale wash of colour left in the sky I had a bit of a tweak in curves.
I'm putting this in Avian as I didn't use any filters or effects in PS. Hope that this is OK :S3:
Comments and critiques welcomed.
Warm regards,
Nicki

Randy Stout
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Nicki:

Fun interpretation. The dark cap and bill act as anchors for the image, the slow shutter speed a sense of motion.

I might be tempted to crop in from the right just a smidge.

Perhaps a subtle frame to the image to keep it from blending into the sites background quite so much..

Good to see you posting.

Cheers

Randy

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Randy,
Thans so much for your input. Agree that a slight crop from the right would work well. As to the border, I take your point, but I like to leave this kind of image unfettered and and flying free...that way there are no boundaries or limits to the imagination :5

Randy Stout
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Nicki:

Its funny, as I was typing about the frame, I thought " perhaps she likes the image blending into the background" . Should have gone with my instincts I guess :bg3:

Cheers

Randy

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
You know me too well :eek::bg3:
I'm all for pushing the boundaries of the imagination - but you knew that!!!

Melissa Groo
07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice to see you posting, Nicki. I really like the artistic, ethereal quality of this. I have always been captivated by terns and I like how your image conveys their speed, grace and beauty.

Stu Bowie
07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi Nicki, good to see you posting again, and up to your normal experimenting images. :w3 I do like the white on white, and your techs certainly produced the goods. Im with Randy to bring in the right a tad.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
NIcki, well done. very creative. agree with crop suggestions. If you dont like square, you can add some canvas at the bottom. If you do cloning, then I'd suggest removing the dark vertical line.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Melissa, Stuart and Kaustubh, thanks so much for your very kind words and suggestions. I'll definitely try a crop from the right. Kaustubh, I take your point about the black line but I feel that in a funny kind of way it helps to anchor the image - it seems a little unbalanced without it :S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
What is that dark line I ask?:S3: I like the abstractness (is that a word?) of this. You got just enough color and shapes to make out the image with a very creative feel. The slow ss created great movement and just enough blur. I love how it dissapears into the bg.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Cheryl, thanks so much for your very kind words. The black line is actually the outside edge of the tail feathers - the rest of the tail streamers are burned out - deliberately, as I was after an impressionistic image :bg3: