PDA

View Full Version : Last breath...

Austin Thomas
07-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Hi all,

I am starting to think about my next trip to Kenya, so I went back through the archives by way of preparation.
Personally speaking, I find it very useful to prepare for each trip by reviewing images, both good and bad, from previous experiences. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I often look at my pictures, or more typically my camera settings, and wish I had done some things differently. Analysing pictures and performing a self critique on them, helps me tune my mind and prepare better should similar situations present themselves again.

Another advantage of reviewing old images is that I occasionally find something lurking on my hard drive that missed my short list the first time around. Here is one such image that I feel falls into that category showing a poor Gazelles last breath.

Old timers on this forum will remember some of the images that did make the short list first time around. If you are interested to see one such image it is HERE (http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/blog/?p=317) for your convenience.

Canon 1DMK3, 500mm, f5.6, 1/5000 ISO400

C&C welcome

Austin

arash_hazeghi
07-21-2011, 03:34 AM
wow! this is super

Ofer Levy
07-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Wildlife photography at its best!:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Hi Austin, yep know them well :bg3::bg3::bg3:

The image I think looks a little 'flat' and the blacks are quite strong in certain areas, I might suggest an inverted S curve to lighten the main subjects and try to easy off in the blacks ie cheetah eyes, gazelle eyes & mouth, but not sure what you have to play with?

If you are you around give us a call, heading back north Saturday and if want some new inspiration... :bg3:

Steve

I see you have replied before I have sent this :eek:

Belated Happy Birthday Austin, meant to drop you a line yesterday.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Too beautiful, love both their poses, both being sharp adds nicely congrates.

Morkel Erasmus
07-21-2011, 05:13 AM
So dramatic Austin - this is what it's all about no matter the light conditions (though if it happens in sweet light we would be even more elated, eh?)...most of us sit and wait or drive around for hours in search of moments like these.

Agree with Steve you could add more pop, but the moment carries it so well...love this series of yours. :cheers::5

Marc Mol
07-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Remember your winning image very well Austin, and this one ties in nicely.:cheers:
The expression on the hapless gazelle with claws extended tells this action story extremely well.
TFS

Harshad Barve
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
This is absolute amazing image , Totally agreed with Ofer

Remember your winning image very well Austin

I still get shocks when I see your Cheetah image lost the first place in IOTY award :eek:

Rachel Hollander
07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Austin - some great advice about prepping for a trip. Also an amazing image.

TFS both,
Rachel

gail bisson
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I love this series! Simply superb,
Gail

kamran shahin
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
very nice shot ....

Jamie Douglas
07-21-2011, 11:13 PM
This is sweet Austin but I agree with others that this needs more pop. A little dark on my screen.

Austin Thomas
07-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks for your valuable feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I will turn the POP dial a little !

Cheers

Austin

Dumay de Boulle
07-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Lovely moment captured and what looks like harsh light well handled.

Steve Canuel
07-23-2011, 10:34 PM
This one, like your previous images from the series, captures so well the fear in the impala's face. Nicely done.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-25-2011, 02:39 AM
I remember the previous one as well. Lovely capture. One doesn't come across similar situations often.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Lorant Voros
07-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Austin,

This is what I call wildlife photography. Your work is outstanding and inspiring!
Light seems to be a little harsh, but the moment captured tells a complete story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Lorant