PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret at Estero Lagoon

Bob Pelkey
07-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Cropped moderately. Sharpened. Tripod used.

Snowy Egret at Estero Lagoon
Fort Myers Beach, Florida USA

Canon EOS-1D Mark III (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_1d_mark_iii) ,Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_600_4is)
1/640s f/6.3 at 840.0mm iso500
<table width="450" align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1"><tbody><tr><td class="sb" colspan="2">Full EXIF Info</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">20-Jul-2011 15:28:23</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Make</td><td class="lid">Canon</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">Canon EOS-1D Mark III</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">840 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/640 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/6.3</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">ISO Equivalent</td><td class="lid">500</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Bias</td><td class="lid">+3</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">White Balance</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Metering Mode</td><td class="lid">matrix (5)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">JPEG Quality</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Program</td><td class="lid">aperture priority (3)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focus Distance</td><td class="lid">12.6 m</td></tr></tbody></table>

dankearl
07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Should this be OOTB?
Kind of a cool looking image, but the processing doesn't really work for me as a straight up portrait.

Daniel Cadieux
07-21-2011, 06:28 AM
I like that you tried something different, but my mind is struggling a bit with this one. For sure the blacks need to go darker. A thin black border around the image would be beneficial here too...at first I though the framing was too tight but then saw this is a larger horizontal comp than I thought. I like the blue and pink in the BG...what is it? This does have lots of OOTB potential....

Bob Pelkey
07-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I like that you tried something different, but my mind is struggling a bit with this one. For sure the blacks need to go darker. A thin black border around the image would be beneficial here too...at first I though the framing was too tight but then saw this is a larger horizontal comp than I thought. I like the blue and pink in the BG...what is it? This does have lots of OOTB potential....

Although I've visited Estero Lagoon about 40 times, I'm still trying to get a feel for the possibilities there. This occasion was about an hour before high tide. I settled down in the tidal cut in the north lagoon and approached this egret six feet closer still, but I was unable to keep the color in the background. The unanticipated "prop" was an umbrella on the beach. The crop was utilized to bring the neck and eye of the bird more left from their original centering in the frame. I'm intrigued with the idea of the border. Again, the only post processing here was the crop and sharpening. I'll consider tinkering with darkening the bill. Started shooting RAW a few weeks ago. Thank you.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I kinda like it actually. I would prefera bit more depth in the colors though and wish that pink area (umbrella) was the sam blue color . It makes for a neat abstract pice of art.

Randy Stout
07-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Bob:

Interesting one. A little too hot for my tastes, but got me wondering.
Repost comes from a linear burn layer applied at 100% to the entire image.

There were some artifacts in the jpeg showing up as halos, and unfort. my tweaks made them worse, but it would be an easy thing to redo it on the raw file and reduce them

Just an option for you.

Cheers

Randy