PDA

View Full Version : Bad 'hare' day

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Firstly I have only posted this as there was some interest in our British hares and this is very much in the category of 'work in progress' and this image normally would not event get this far!

I have been working on a Little owl project, which, along with others is going very slowly at present Mr A Thomas :bg3:, however whilst waiting for them to surface either from their nest or from hunting, occasionally I am joined by other friends who locate the area, deer, foxes and these guys. Having been sitting for over three hours suddenly this hare appeared, the wind direction was right and he slowly made his way down. No time to check or change the gear, or position as this was shot from the roof of the car with the old 2x, hence partly the poor IQ. You can see prior there was a heavy rain storm. There is a better one showing his rather matted coat, but I preferred the pose/expression, so this is very much in the 'story board' to get & nail properly.

Good luck with yours Jonathan.

Steve

Subject: Wet hare head on, squatting, paws raised (Lepus europaeus)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 500/f/4 2x MKII bean bag on car roof
Exposure: 1/250s at f8 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Cropped for presentation (original capture portrait)

RAW convertor, exported to Adobe PS: Levels/Curves/Brightness/Own colour mix/USM

Brendan Dozier
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Love the head-on pose, direct eye contact, and wet matted fur, wonderful expression and character to this one. Like the rainy day light, BG, and what a nice surprise to have this fella visit you, Steve. Am really liking these British hares, and this further confirms to me that they look like mini-kangaroos! :bg3:

peter delaney
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
lovely capture...great detail in the wet fur...

gail bisson
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
This wins 10 out of 10 for storybook cuteness. I love the position of his front paws and the look is priceless. I wish he was on the grass and no road visible but it is still akeeper!
gail
Gail

Steve Canuel
07-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice pose and the IQ looks pretty good to me.

Austin Thomas
07-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Hi Steve,

Great pose and I like the angle. The wet fur and paws really help this one. I can't get close enough to the hares around here. Little Owls are easy by comparison !!!

Maybe we should trade locations for a weekend...

Cheers

Austin

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Sounds like a plan Austin. :w3

BTW this was taken with the new 2 x MKIII far better than the old, swopped out the old 2x & second 1.4x for the new 1.4x MKIII, not a huge difference compared to the 2x. :w3

Rachel Hollander
07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Steve - both shots are fun shots with your usual excellent techs. The wet look works for some and maybe the hare is one.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
These are great "character" images! You captured the hare in 2 unusual, and amusing poses. I really like the very wet look on the 2nd one, plus that it is standing tall on its legs, with a startled look.

Jamie Douglas
07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Its not often you see Hare photos and rarely do they come close to the quality of these. I gotta work on getting more detail.