PDA

View Full Version : La Roque Gageac

Dave Mills
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Interesting village where many houses have the rock face at their back. This is one place I knew how the lighting emanated with the last light hitting the buildings around 4:00. Still a hot time of day since it doesn't get dark until 10:00. I shot this around 7:00 and felt I needed a foreground. This boat pulled up when I was there and after it unloaded I was able to include it.
I was elevated when I shot this and would of preferred to be higher so the mast didn't cut through the houses.
Nikon D300,17-85MM,F22,1/5 sec,polarizer,ISO 400,Tripod Mtd

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Dave,
I actually don't mind the cut mast as including it would have introduced a ton of dead space. I am debating the RH railing.....leaning towards all of it in....but knowing you....probably unwanted stuff over there so I would crop it out as it stands now. Did you try selectively darkening some of the buildings behind the boat....just to make the mast and sail stand out more? This has a nice balance and tweaking it will take it up a notch.

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Dave - the mast doesn't bother me either but the blue railing does. I wouldn't want to crop it out though because I like the red awnings on the building at the end and would not want to lose them. Nice light and comp overall.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Dave, this village is known as the most beautiful in France.
It is hard to get a look at it without being out on the river.
Your photo is fine, I don't mind the comp or the mast, I would just like a better view of the village which I know is tough to get.

Dave Mills
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi Dan, your right! being on the river would of been perfect.
Roman, you were right about alot of clutter behind the rail and if I didn't include it the reinforcing bars would have gone to something unknown. Tough tradeoff.

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Dave, well handled image. Like the comp as is.