PDA

View Full Version : Wilson's Bay, South Island, NZ #2

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I had worked the shoreline of the Bay; this was my "other" keeper that afternoon.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 24 Apr 11; 4:00PM
Light condition: overcast; cloudy
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 2 7mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 50
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 30 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Vari ND
Crop: minimal sides and bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Mills
07-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Jay, Appealing moody scene. I like the grouping of foreground rocks with the ability to see muted rocks underneath. The long exposed water adds to the scene along with good detail in most areas.If this were mine I might evict the rock on the far right and add a bit more room to the bottom and the top.(a bit on the left also) A little tight in those areas otherwise I like the image!

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey Jay,
I agree with Dave on a bit more room bottom and right.....not much.....you know my love of tight crops....but this is a bit too close. I am going in the opposite direction of him when it comes to the top......I'd crop down and eliminate that wide V area above the mountian peak around 1:30. Browser crop to see what I mean. This image also bring up something I like to stress when working landscapes......I live the water and rocks.....did you take just an image in that area? The colors and rock seperation is fantastic.....so eliminating the mountains and just composing in the water would also work. Always work the scene in these cases. If the sky is leass than ideal....don't fight it.....try minimizing (which you did in this case) or eliminate it altoghether. This thought process will aloow you to quickly compose and then recompose on the same scene and give you lots of options int he field. Once you crop that top.....this will work for me but if so incined.....add that bit of space too!
You are definitely improving and your hard work is starting to show results! :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Jay - I like this scene and as always Dave and Roman have good suggestions for improving it. I just wanted to point out a nit that they hadn't mentioned, there's a halo on the mountains on the left.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
I like this better than the first one, but still a lot of water to look at with not much to draw the eye except the rocks.
I think a lower position would have been better. but not much you can do now.
The water and rocks are very well done.
I would like to see a crop of just the rocks as kind of an abstract.

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Here are two different presentations taking into account all of the suggestions - which do you like?

Dave, this is now full frame.

Dan, I do not mind the expanse of water as from the furthest rock there is a stepping stone effect of lighter water from the rock to the shore line.

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Per Roman's crop suggestion; I am not sure I like creating a table top on the RHS.

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
For Dan: :S3:

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Roman, thanks for the acknowledgement! :cheers:

Glasses of Port!! :5

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey Jay,
Not just because of the port.....but wanted to show you the crop.....a little bit makes a difference. Pane #6 with this crop is the one! I do like the last pano of just water too!
PS In the OP....you had a table top on the URC already!

dankearl
07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I like the rocks Jay, and the Roman's repost.
The rocks look like they are in dry ice.
Nice processing.

Jay Gould
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Mate, you made me work for this one, and you know what, it was worth it!!

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
That's it! :cheers: It is always worth going that extra mile!:w3

Robert Amoruso
07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Jay,

Though I understand why Roman suggested the crop at the top due to the bright V cut in the slope, I agree with you I am not happy with the table-top look. I feel more at the top (not much - just enough to remove the crampness) would be good and then tone down the bright sky there.

I like the additional room at the bottom.

Jay Gould
07-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey Bob, I too was not 100% happy with the crop; here is a different approach. I used the lasso tool and outlined the bright area above the mountain and then did a ctrl-F5 content aware fill. I like this the best because it eliminated the bright spot over the mountains and did not reduce the sky.