PDA

View Full Version : Hetrometrus scorpion

bhavya joshi
07-20-2011, 02:52 AM
These scorpions are dark brown to black, with most species sporting a green or blue tint in certain lighting. They are hardy scorpions, in that way they are similar to Emperor Scorpions.

This scorpion found at night in bandiyabeli forest... this scorpion glows due to A thin, transparent film (hyaline) in the outermost layer (cuticle) of their exoskeleton contains a protein that fluoresces.you can see scorpions within a 20-foot radius by shining a black (ultraviolet) light around. They glow bright green-blue or green-yellow like scorpion jewels.
With Canon 550D, 18-55mm

flash: No
F: 5.6
ISO: 200
Shutter Speed 1/5( Stable on ground)
AV-Mode
UV Light On Scorpion To Glow.:S3:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282166_247074758655921_100000601962672_960885_3385 238_n.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey Joshi,
this is very unusual because of the black light but I think it works! Likes like a scary science fiction movie! You managed a good pose in the dark and while I think you did OK with the DOF, next time try pushing the camera to ISO 640 for a few extra stops of DOF. I might tone down the brightest area at the top of the head a touch too.....but looks like I will have to go find my black light and take it out at night!
I like that you are experimenting with different light. This will help you with other light sources as well!

Steve Maxson
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Joshi. Thanks for including the biological and blacklighting information. The blacklight produces a very cool effect and I like the low shooting angle. You did very well with a ss of only 1/5! I like Roman's suggestion of increasing ISO to get more DOF - a little more depth would take this interesting image up a couple notches. :S3: It seems that you're having a lot of fun with the new gear!

Dave Leroy
07-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Good for you to get photos of these neat creatures under unusual lighting.

Colours look great and good suggestions about dof.

Thanks for the info about the scorpion as well.

bhavya joshi
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Everyone.. I have used Simple UV LED torch light for few min.. because someone said me that there is negative impact on these creatures while using UV light. :eek: