PDA

View Full Version : frustrated at times with this forum

allanrube
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I know a lot of thought has gone into this forum, but at times I get frustrated.
I just posted an image and immediately realized I uploaded the incorrect jpg.

I clicked edit, deleted the image and uploaded the correct one.

However, both images show in my post. I do not want the second one there.

Why do you not allow posters better editing ability? I know someone might take image suggestions, delete their original and repost in its place a better version. This would confuse people reading the comments. They might read - "clone out the oof bird" when they no longer see an oof bird. But people won't do that if they are reminded not to.

Am I missing something? I get confused as this forum is different than others.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/86646-common-tern-chick

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Actually Allen, I don't think you were supposed to be able to do that! I'll let Chris Ober....aka the tech guy......know about it.

allanrube
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I would think I should be allowed to do so and wonder why not, but I do not want to offend anyone who has worked hard making this forum what it is.

Chris Ober
07-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Why do you not allow posters better editing ability?

We do. You are completely able to edit the post in any manner you with for a time after the initial post.

If you look below the reply box, there are additional options. One shows you exactly what attachments are already there and a button to manage and then remove one, both, or the other. If one image was added as an attachment and another added by linking to one on a different site, the forum doesn't have a way to. You can also click on the paperclip icon again when editing and see what attachments are already there and remove the previous one. How did you delete the first one before?

There is also a Preview Post next to the submit reply button that allows you to verify exactly how your post will look before you submit it.

Actually Allen, I don't think you were supposed to be able to do that! I'll let Chris Ober....aka the tech guy......know about it.

Yes, I thought it was set that way too. I'll have to check that setting again.

allanrube
07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I see what you mean. However, it is too late - I can't edit my message anymore.

Chris Ober
07-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Forum should only allow one attachment per post now.

allanrube
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Does that mean I can still edit it in that time frame as long as I delete the incorrect image first?

Chris Ober
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Which one should be removed? The 168 K or the 176 K size image?

Chris Ober
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
You should be able to edit the post as many times as needed up to the time limit (I forget how long).

allanrube
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I posted it about 70 minutes ago.

The one I want removed is the lower one - the one with the brighter breast.

Thanks. May I ask why there is a time limit, and if so, why it is so short a time? I guessed above but do not know if I am correct.

Chris Ober
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
There is a time limit because people were abusing it when we had it unlimited. Editing/deleting their words or images when they received replies they didn't agree with. It had the effect of throwing off the whole flow of conversation or wasting the time of the people that replied with an informative critique.

Time limit is set to an hour after the first post and is what the rest of the Mods at the time decided upon.

allanrube
07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
OK. Thanks for letting me know the details. I would not have guessed it would have been abused.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks Chris......oh technical one!:cheers:

Arthur Morris
09-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Well handled Chris. Thanks a stack.

Grady Weed
11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I too had wondered what the time limit was on editing your images, and also why it was set for such a time frame. To bad a few rotten apples spoil it for others.