PDA

View Full Version : Hunningbird 7 - Flash Outdoor Studio Checkout

Randy Stephens
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey, Being a recent NASA retiree I got bored during last winter's cold and snow here in Hazel Green. After reading several threads on various forums on the subject, I started to assemble and checkout in the living room a 7-Flash setup with background. Yesterday I assembled it outdoors and give it a checkout with live subjects. Attached is the second bird photographed with the setup and I was quite happy with the results. It was taken with a Nikon D3X on manual exposure at I believe f11. The flashes were set at 1/32 power. Please critque the photo and give areas that need improvement.http://rkstephensphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Hummingbirds-2011/i-CBrgCwr/0/L/DSC4239-Edit-L.jpg

http://rkstephensphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Hummingbirds-2011/i-CBrgCwr/0/L/DSC4239-Edit-L.jpg

Craig Clute
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice work Randy.

I have zero humming bird experience so take the following with a grain of salt: The head and eye are crisp, nice job. I might remove two of the three catch lights in the eye in order to clean it up a little. Increased DOF might also work to get the tail feathers into focus, but certainly not a requirement in my mind. The only other comment would be a potential change to the BG colour, but this comes down to personal choice.

Bottom line -- great 'second' attempt. I would be more than happy if it were mine!

Daniel Cadieux
07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Good critique by Craig. I like the pose, exposure, sharpness. I agree with eliminating two of the catchlights (leaving the center one intact). I also agree with experimenting with changing the BG colouras this looks like an indoor studio backdrop. I would also fiddle with the composition as the little hummingbird is very centered in the frame - no room for it to "look" into. Overall well done...with the techs down pat you just need a bit more fine-tuning on the final presentation...lots of potential and you are off to a great strat!

P.S. I see this is your first started thread...so I wish you a belated warm welcome to BPN!!:c3:

Doug Brown
07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Welcome Randy! Hummingbird photography can be addictive, and it looks like you're well on your way. :S3: You've captured the subject nicely. I'd definitely work on your BG, as the one you're using here has an artificial look to it. I agree with Daniel's comment regarding the image composition.

I think that 7 flashes is probably overkill for most multiple-flash hummingbird photography; I normally use a total of 4 flashes. Too many flashes tends to produce overly even lighting and the result is that your subjects often lack a sense of depth. I like that sense of depth in my hummer images.

Randy Stephens
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will make some adjustments and keep trying. The migration starts here in North Alabama about mid August so I will have time to work on the technique a some more. Last yeat we estimated over 35 hummers were at the feeder at most anytime during peak migration. I was filling 14 feeders every 1 1/2 days.

Thanks again,
Randy