PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Point Light #3

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Another from the series when I stayed over Michael and Karen Lotito's house and Betty
Wiley joined us! Facing towards the shore getting pounded by the surf........a bit too high:w3..... and glad my tripod and head weigh a ton! I used the Vari ND filter and since many of you have been asking me about it......you can see my review on it in my blog: http://roaminwithroman.wordpress.com/upcoming-workshops/photo-gear/
I bought the filter many years ago and use it whenever I am around water! I only review products I have purchased and own!

Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 38mm for 2 seconds at f22 and ISO 100 all tripod mounted w/ graf studioball head. Saved at 84Q.

Don Railton
07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
very Sweet Roman...

Love the foreground rock with the water wrap around... Nice range of colours and interest in the content. Don't want to change anything and not sure how you could improve this. I am glad you had a heavy tripod, not sure I would have been that brave.

DON

Rachel Hollander
07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Roman - been a while since I've been out there but it looks mostly like I remember it (I don't recall the white building). I too like the water and fg rock, nice sky and colors look good too.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey Roman, nicely balanced composition along with beautiful light. The filter did a great job slowing the exposure in turn slowing the water giving an interesting and unusual foreground. Nice one!!

dankearl
07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
The best of the series. I think the exposure might have been better a tad faster, the water is a bit overdone to me.
The comp is very well done, draws the eye from the rock right up to the lighthouse.

Susan Candelario
07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I like everything about this one... Comp, exp, lighting, sharpness, colors & the sky. And of course after you letting me try your Vari ND and reading your review, I had to add one to the cart in preparation for the fall.
I am wondering why did they have to erect that white bldg on the right? LOL

Robert Amoruso
07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Roman,

The rock being vertically in line with the lighthouse doesn't work for me as well if the two were place to form a diagonal in the image. I like the use of the slow shutter speed.

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Roman,

The rock being vertically in line with the lighthouse doesn't work for me as well if the two were place to form a diagonal in the image. I like the use of the slow shutter speed.
No problem Robert and welcome back! I had the offset in an earlier post: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/85937

trying to show how moving (have one form even further away a few days before) .....even slightly can affect comp. The one I linked to above is my favorite of the 3.

John Platt
07-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Gorgeous shot Roman.

Nick Palmieri
07-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I love the swirl around the FG rock and the curves that bring you to the lighthouse. That Vari-ND filter rocks!

Bob Miller
07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey Roman....This one is sweet all around....light, composition,sharpness...and the water swirl in the foreground makes it very unique. :5 :5

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Hey Roman, I like the vertical idea, but do prefer the rock and lighthouse offset. Beautiful blur with the waves. Nice light too!

Jay Gould
07-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Come on Roman, that isn't a photograph - tell us the truth - it is painting!

Absolutely lovely, and if it were mine, that ugly building on the right would magically disappear.