PDA

View Full Version : Common Blue Butterfly

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 800 -0.33 1/250 sec f8

I have performed a self diagnosis - BDS a well recognised phenomenon in Wirral England, as a result I have trawled through some image taken in 2010 and posted this. Though similar it is not the same image posted last year.
I decided not to apply any noise reduction to the subject as I felt it helped capture the very dull lighting at the time.

BDS? = Butterfly Deficiency Syndrome:bg3::w3

All comments welcome

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Now that's a BG Jonathan! I just worked on your previous one but this is what you should always strive for in BG's!!! I do think a bit more room up front and yes......a better angle towards us would be preferable.....but the light is very nice and the perch is also great. Thanks for the new term BDS! and keep up the great hunting and super images!

Carel v/d Sanden
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
The diagonal lines in the BG make me think that the picture is tilted.
so the butterfly can be seen hanging upside down on the grass.
and the camera is rotated to obtain these components.
sharpness, colors and BG are very nice.
But my feeling about the diagonal line, I can not let go.
sorry if it does not.

Steve Maxson
07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Jonathan. Good luck with your BDS. I expect the only cure is to find a lot of butterflies! :S3: Nice even light and I like the smooth background. Also, you have good sharpness throughout. As Roman noted, the butterfly is facing just slightly away from us. In terms of comp, I, too, would like to see more room in front of the butterfly if you have it. I think this would have made a very pleasing horizontal composition. Overall, this is very well done.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Nice and sharp, good details. I like the perch and the BG is beautiful. Agree about a bit more room on right side and the BF is facing slightly away but also think that another angle would have show more of the darker area on bg and bring it closer to the BF.

christopher galeski
07-20-2011, 06:11 AM
very nice Jonathan,nice BG,nice detail,as been said,would have liked the butterfly turned a bit more to us,well done and thanks.

Dave Leroy
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Love the perch and I don't mind the diagonal lines in bg. Grass as a bg seems to be that way a lot of the time. Nice simple composition.

Good luck on finding some for 2011.

Dave

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Love the subtle diagonal lines in the bg that go with the diagonal perch. Amazing detail on the butterfly.I agree about more room in front as well.