PDA

View Full Version : Gnu furball!

Marc Mol
07-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Can leave a nasty taste in your mouth!:t3
Used a small amount of Nik Efix Pro vignette blur to soften the two sub adults either side.
Especially interested to see your opinion on whether that works or not?

D3s 500VR + 1.4tc 1/500s ISO800@f/6.3 Masai Mara Oct 2010.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Brendon Cremer
07-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Lovely image, like the focus with the 2 other oof lions on either side, do you by any chance have one like this with her eyes open, otherwise great image:S3:

Marc Mol
07-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks Brendon

Lovely image, like the focus with the 2 other oof lions on either side, do you by any chance have one like this with her eyes open, otherwise great image:S3:

Unfortunately not:e3

Rachel Hollander
07-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Ewww, gross! Just kidding, good behavioral shot. I like that we also see the horn of the gnu. I think it works, clear look at the behavior and the other lions are nicely oof to not draw attention.

TFS,
Rachel

Ofer Levy
07-19-2011, 06:45 AM
I am afraid this doesn't work for me at all. The oof animals in the FG are not helping and the scene itself is not great IMO. I can't recall seeing an image of a human vomiting....:e3

Steve Kaluski
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Marc, well for once I am going sit on the fence on this one. :w3

I can see where you are going and what you are trying to achieve on this, but I have to say I am 50/50. I don't dislike it, but then I don't go wow either, I just wonder if there is too much blurring/softening which certainly for me, doesn't look real, so perhaps, could you post without the blur/soften effect. If you have the IQ could a portrait 5 x4 work, still keeping the focus, but reducing the amount either side?

Certainly a unique moment.

TFS
Steve

Fred Canter
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I like the shot, the blurring/softening works for me to give a frame for the action shot. First thing that entered my mind was the proverbial, "coughing up a hairball". Which in this case is actually happening, and gave me a chuckle. I've seen cats do this but I think the is the first photo I've seen of it. For me it's a unique moment to catch and gave me a laugh, and getting a viewer to have some kind of emotion to the shot is what we all want. Of course I do have a sick sense of humor!

gail bisson
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
The expression on the lion's face is priceless but I am not loving the OOF lions. They dominate the picture a bit too much and the black splotch to the right really bothers me. I also had to smile when I saw this picture end that more than makes up for the "nits"I have with this image.:S3:
Gail