PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Happy Dance! part 4

Brian Wong
03-29-2008, 12:36 PM
EOS 40D, 500/4
1/2500, f/7, ISO 800, handheld on boat, manual exposure

Doing the Happy Dance! part 4

Photographed a few weeks ago while on James Shadle's boat, during James' and Jim Neiger's BAA approved "Best of Florida" workshop.

(You may have noticed that I am trying this reporting format idea, after listening to the learning/improvement goals of this forum with James Shadle. Hope that is OK).

Both James and Jim were teaching us, and gave us plenty of exercises on "clicking-over" L/R for exposure (before pressing the shutter button). The sun was getting high and harsh during this morning session, and James announced "We are leaving now!" Of course, this signaled for this Osprey to land on a nearby tree. My eyes got wide opened, and my jaw dropped as the Osprey then dove right in front of us, catching its' fish prey! The continuous high speed fps was heard ripping and smokin' from all 5 onboard participants. Happy campers, all smiles ... that's excitement!

Why I like this image:
This positively reinforced, and proved to me the valuable "Clicking L/R" exposure lessons taught to me by James and Jim.

What I would change:
Wished it was not quite so harsh (maybe needed just one more "click" for the exposure)?.

Many thanks to James Shadle & Jim Neiger, and also Hi! to fellow participants Ned, Rob, & Jack, Fabs and Alfred. I had a BLAST ... it was so much fun!

Thank you for looking, and for all you tips for improvement & helpful comments.

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Great eye contact,action,light and details,nice work Brian!!!

Arthur Morris
03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Hey Brian,

Exposure looks great from here. And you have captured the peak of action. But boy, that is one ratty bird. Please explain L/R clicking for us. I think that I know what you are talking about but am not positive.

Lastly, I am glad that you had a great time on a BAA-Approved trip <smile> Them boys be good at what they do.

later and love, artie

Steve Ashton
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Great image and superb detail and peak of action. Why are this birds wings in such poor condition??

Brian Wong
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey Brian,

Exposure looks great from here. And you have captured the peak of action. But boy, that is one ratty bird. Please explain L/R clicking for us. I think that I know what you are talking about but am not positive.

Lastly, I am glad that you had a great time on a BAA-Approved trip <smile> Them boys be good at what they do.

later and love, artie

Thank you very much for your comments, and encouragements Manos, and Steve!

I believe the image illustrates the life & death struggles of these creatures. This Osprey dove into, and actually went under the water. I believe his wings became water-logged (with all his wing-feathers becoming stuck together) and now he is flapping for his life, trying to get out of the water with his fish. Please tell me anyone, if I am wrong ... as this is only my guess why he looks so "ratty" when I look closely at the image.

As always, thank you for your encouragement Artie!

As taught to us during this wonderful workshop ... we were given tons of opportunities to practice exposure technique. The initial manual exposure technique will give you a good baseline exposure to judge a neutral bird that is flying both in bright sky, as well as a dark varied background (as long as the light is the same).

However, if we spot a dark bird, I would adjust the exposure by "clicking to the right" ... and if I spot a white/light bird, I would adjust the exposure by "clicking to the left" ... all this done immediately and automatically before even depressing the shutter button (Note: Left or Right clicks depends on your camera make, and how you set it up). (My set up is backward Ned).

Basically, click to adjust less light to avoid burning a white/light bird. And conversely click to add more light to a black/dark bird. (BTW, trying to put this down on paper is also a good exercise, and a very good teaching aid for me).

With the fantastic instruction while on both boats, we were able to practice, practice, practice ... until it became second nature and almost automatic ... and I believe that it really helps in reading and understanding the light. Great stuff, and thanks again!

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Why are this birds wings in such poor condition??

Birds change most of their their feathers usually twice a year. This birds primaries are worn to a frazzle and will soon be replaced by fresh new feathers. Imagine if you wore the same clothes of six months or more...

later and love, artie

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Hi Brian,

re:

I believe his wings became water-logged (with all his wing-feathers becoming stuck together) and now he is flapping for his life, trying to get out of the water with his fish. Please tell me anyone, if I am wrong ... as this is only my guess why he looks so "ratty" when I look closely at the image.

AM: You are wrong <smile> In addition to being wet, the primaries are worn almost to the feather shafts. (See above for more).

As always, thank you for your encouragement Artie!

AM: YAW

Basically, click to adjust less light to avoid burning a white/light bird. And conversely click to add more light to a black/dark bird. (BTW, trying to put this down on paper is also a good exercise, and a very good teaching aid for me).

With the fantastic instruction while on both boats, we were able to practice, practice, practice ... until it became second nature and almost automatic ... and I believe that it really helps in reading and understanding the light. Great stuff, and thanks again!

AM: Yes, how-to writing is difficult for most but is one of my very great strengths (he said modestly...) Above, you failed to let folks know whether you are adjusting shutter speed or aperture as you change exposure. You can do it both ways but changing the shutter speed while working in manual mode (another thing that I think you forgot to mention...) is the more common.

later and love, artie

Brian Wong
03-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Brian,

AM: You are wrong <smile> In addition to being wet, the primaries are worn almost to the feather shafts. (See above for more).

Hi Artie!
Thank you for the correction! Yes, after I reviewed my prior and post frames, the poor guys's feathers were worn, even before getting wet. Time for a new suit!

AM: Yes, how-to writing is difficult for most but is one of my very great strengths (he said modestly...) Above, you failed to let folks know whether you are adjusting shutter speed or aperture as you change exposure. You can do it both ways but changing the shutter speed while working in manual mode (another thing that I think you forgot to mention...) is the more common.

later and love, artie

You have such great insight Artie!

Yes, I deliberately "forgot" to mention this because I didn't want to add more confusion on which way to "click".

So ... for my camera set up, I prefer to set it up so that both the shutter wheel and the aperture wheel lets in more light when I "click to the Right" (and less light when I "click to the Left".

Also, as you indicated, it was taught and common (and I believe most prefer) to "click" the shutter speed dial when making the exposure adjustment.

I (who loves to tinker) prefer "clicking" on the aperture wheel for my exposure adjustments. My reasoning is that handholding the 500 in flight is challenging enough, and for me, I find the need to maintain a certain minimum shutter speed (to help reduce motion softness). I realize and am willing to trade DOF when I do this.

Initially, it is very confusing ... but all that practice sure came in handy!

Oh, I also "forgot" to mention that this "clicking" left/right adjustment also happens when the sun goes behind the clouds, etc.

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion!