PDA

View Full Version : Oyster catcher

carole wiley
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
This is my 3rd year going to Nickerson Beach and this is the first OC chick I have gotten. Unfortunately, where there are usually wall to wall skimmers this year is just empty space, a very sad sight and I am hoping next year is different. Anyway, this day there was one chick to be seen and lucky for me it was this cooperative oyster catcher. Taken with the Mark III and the 500 mm + 1.4 tc. iso 1600 F11 and SS @ 1/500.

annmpacheco
07-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the Skimmer shortage Carol. I hope as well they rebound. Wonderful ground level shot here, good focus and HA with catchlight is pleasing. I like the soft focus in the BG. TFS, Ann

Sachin Saraf
07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Carole I have visited Nickerson few times this year. There are too many Oystercatchers nesting on beach and are very cooperative. I have seen skimmers for the first time so what ever I see is too many for me :-)

On my last visit I got opportunity to take few shot of young Skimmer.

You did great job with this young Oystercatcher here the light seems to be harsh...but the whites do not look blown to me...and overall this is pretty sharp..

Kerry Perkins
07-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Carole, this is a lovely capture - well done! The exposure looks good, whites well under control. I do feel that the chick needs a little something to help it stand out from the bg. Maybe just adding some black to the blacks and grays using selective color, or a curves or levels adjust to bring the blacks down a notch.

Don Railton
07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi Carole,

I too like this but like Kerry I think it disapears into the background somewhat. I know this is natures way of protecting the Chicks. I am sure kerrys suggestions will help make it stand out a little more.

DON

denise ippolito
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Carole, Nice pose on this Oystercatcher chick. Congrats! I like the sharp bill and feet. Kerry makes a good suggestion. Hope to see you at Nickerson soon.:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey Carole,
Glad to see you made it down there! Great angle and good advice above on some possible tweaks. I have to get there again myself soon! Now if only I can get you to post some Gillette Catle HDR's from the workshop!:bg3:

carole wiley
07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey Carole,
Glad to see you made it down there! Great angle and good advice above on some possible tweaks. I have to get there again myself soon! Now if only I can get you to post some Gillette Catle HDR's from the workshop!:bg3:

Roman, I will do that. I had a blast at your workshop and got some stuff I like alot. You did a great job with that.

Nick Palmieri
07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey Carol, I like the pose and the low angle. Great detail and cool feet. It's always tough to separate those chicks from the BG, good for them bad for photographers....

It was nice meeting you at Gillette last weekend.