PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Yellowlegs??

Dave Leroy
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
We often see Greater Yellowlegs especially in winter time. I am curious about this one. I think I have ID correct.

They must be passing back through Vancouver BC area on their way south again.

Dave

Paul Guris
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
This bird looks like a Lesser to me. The bill is slim, straight, and has no pale area to the base. The eye also looks big in proportion to the face which is good for Lesser.

John Chardine
07-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Agree with Paul, but I can see the confusion- Lessers often have a smoother look about them (Sibley says "less distinctly marked"), Greaters look "rougher". Lesser's bills are about the length of the head, Greaters longer. I often see both of these together on southward migration from now until the late fall. I see many more Greaters than Lessers. As with many shorebird species in North America, the yellowlegs are in decline.

Dave Leroy
07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks Paul and John.

Too bad about the declining population. Loss of habitat I suppose.

Dave

John Chardine
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Dave- the reasons for the widespread decline in shorebirds in North America is still unknown and may originate in the Arctic where many of them breed, at migration stopover sites or overwintering sites, or some combination of the three places they spend their lives. Breeding success could be lower due to Arctic climate change or habitat degradation (caused by exploding Snow Goose populations?). The birds could be in poorer body condition at the start of, or during, migration north or south, which might increase mortality rates. Also in many overwintering areas in the Caribbean and Central/South America, shorebirds are hunted. Toxic chemicals and contaminants could also play a role. Some declines could be an artifact of our monitoring methods and not be real.