PDA

View Full Version : Northern Gannet Banking.

Karl Egressy
07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
This was taken on the second day with lots of sunshine.
The wind direction and the light direction in ralation to the observer/photographer made it difficult to get a decent shot given the fact that your positin was very much limited.
As my wife put it; the Island should have been turned by 90 degrees.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/2000
Av 5.6
Spot Metering
ISO 250
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x
Focal Length 420.0mm

Stu Bowie
07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Karl, great backlighting effect here, and you sure have captured a full wingspread. Difficult to create a comp with the pose, but I feel it works just fine as is.

Keith Carver
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice BIF image, Karl, and I like the full-spread wings. Was this at Bonaventure? Tough to shoot in harsh light but you've managed to control the shadows. TFS!

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Karl, the toughest part in such shots is not blowing the neck and still get underwing details. I think you've handled that well. excellent wing spread.

Wishing for a head position that would have given a more clear view of the eye and avoided the bill merging with the wing.

carole wiley
07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I second the bill merging with the wing. I think you did a fine job of handling the light. Seems a number of us made it to Bonaventure this year. It is so hard to get a bird isolated either on the ground or in the air. You have have a nice image here. I like the intense look in the eye.

gail bisson
07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice image Karl. You handled the difficult light superbly. My eye is drawn to the bright white line (the leading edge of bird's right wing).Can this be toned down a bit?
The whites are very good.
Gail

RakeshDhareshwar
07-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Brilliant on the exposure , Karl . Add me on the list wishinh a better HA .