PDA

View Full Version : Kiss Of Life (C)

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone. I am somewhat new to BPN and this is my first post in this forum. I shoot mostly birds I think because I live in Fl and do love them very much but I also love fauna . I just don't get the ops as much and I truely admire those that do. This is an oldyfor me but one of my absolute favorites of mine.
Taken at Lowery Park zoo a couple years back. The moment was perfect and I was in awe that I just happened to be there with my camera focused on them. I got home and began editing right away which included removing a very obvious zoo rope. I then used a cross hatch effect since I was printing it on canvas, After all the PS work done, I closed it out saved as is and realized I forgot to save it before the crosshatch. So....... Unless I go back and re-clone which took alot of work, this is the image. I'm happy to say that it has been published so I guess it was meant to be. Probably better seen on my website. Thanks for lookin and C&C always welcome.:5

Roger Clark
07-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Cheryl.

Wow. Impressive image. Very powerful. I would like to see the mothers eyes, but even so a wonderful image. Great exposure and sharpness too. Great light. Well done.

Roger

Hilary Hann
07-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Cheryl, this is a beautifully emotive image and I love the little smile on the mother's face, and the baby's face is priceless, such a well caught pose. The baby's hair do is fantastic. Glad you published it, deserves a wide audience.

Welcome to this forum, btw … hope you have some other gems for us to share. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
07-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Love the sweet interaction, Cheryl, very nicely captured and composed. Great light & exposure. I too, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Marina Scarr
07-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Killer image. Love the babys hair. Exposure and details look very good. Wonderful intimate moment captured, Cheryl.

Good PS woek. I cant see where you removed any rope. Do you have any techs for this image?

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi Cheryl and welcome.

A tender moment indeed and well seen & captured. I might be tempted to just tweak a little in Levels & Curves just to add a bit more depth and allow some more defined detail to come through IMHO, as personally I feel it looks a tad light? I know it's always easier with hindsight, but if you had been able to move where there was no white space in the BG, ie just the two heads, I feel the power within the image would have been even more enhanced, but time, position, moment, sometimes does not allow that flexibility. :w3

When you post if you can add the Exif data as per Marian's request, plus any other bits of info that might be helpful to the viewer/reader is also wellcome.

EXIF 40D, 300m lens, 1/200, f/7.1 ISO400 No flash fired

TFS
Steve

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Killer image. Love the babys hair. Exposure and details look very good. Wonderful intimate moment captured, Cheryl.

Good PS woek. I cant see where you removed any rope. Do you have any techs for this image?

OOPs I do know better. Must have had too much sun yesterday:
Canon 40D 300 mm 2.8L
Iso 400
f7.1 2 1/200 tripod

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone. Steve, I do feel you and have been up and down with different crops . The bg was blown so I just whited it out. I don't know how else I could crop this without losing the babys fine do.:w3:bg3:

Roger Clark
07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
personally I feel it looks a tad light?

This would be a good image to discuss in Artie's tight or wide thread. Personally, I think if wider the impact would be less because the kiss would be made smaller and less significant. I also think it would work well, perhaps better if cropped tighter. But I like it as is.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Cheryl - beautiful interaction, well captured. Really like the textures that come through. Welcome to the wildlife forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Roger - Steve said "light" not "tight" :S3:

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Cheryl,

I think this is perfect as presented. Welcome to the wildlife forum.

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Welcome here Cheryl! What an image to start with...super moment and pulls the viewer right in, captive or not...:t3

I commend your cloning skills. The image overall has a very grainy feel to me - not sure if this was part of your processing? It makes the colour version seem somewhat washed out (for lack of a better word). I always like to play with tender moments like these in B&W to try and enhance the mood. Given the grainy look here, here is a suggestion for you (very quickly done in PS and would come out much better if converted from the original RAW file).

Would love your thoughts...

Tin Man Lee
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
This photo is beautiful, the bigger head of the mom and the tiny head of the baby makes a nice contrast. Love their nice head of hair.

Roger Clark
07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Roger - Steve said "light" not "tight" :S3:

Oops....never mind .... slinks off.....