PDA

View Full Version : Wilson's Bay, South Island, NZ

Jay Gould
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
We went to Wilson's Bay for the sunset shoot; not very good. However, I visualized the clouds over the far mountain tops like shaving cream or whipped cream - a thickness rolling over the mountains.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 24 Apr 11; 3:47PM
Light condition: overcast; cloudy
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 2 9mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 50
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 20 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Vari ND
Crop: minimal sides and bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Don Railton
07-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Jay

All these NZ photos are making me homesick...!

I like the moody clouds (spent many hours mountain climbing amongst the very same..) and the sun peaking onto the ridge in the distance but I find the foreground distracting to the point where I would suggest to crop off the bottom third...

DON

Dave Mills
07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi Jay, I see how one can feel the way you described the clouds. They have that effect.
A few points. First, the tree on the left is not adding much to the image due to it's merge with the backround which is taking away it's strength.
Secondly, I don't find the foreground distracting but my eye seems to be searching for more than is present in the large expanse of water. Don's suggestion of a crop is another possibility...

Jay Gould
07-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions; I do not see the magenta cast on my monitor. Does the cropping and removal of the tree strengthen the image, or is it still "lost"? I have four different images from Wilson's Bay; for me it will be interesting to see which, if any, is liked.

Don Railton
07-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Jay

I much prefer the repost. The rocks to the left are now much more dominant and provide some detail/interest in the foreground that did not exist in the OP.

regards

DON

Jay Gould
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Photographers that do not "play" here and NS, my two playpens, and other forums too, are missing so much. I have reworked this image to remove the magenta cast (created by the skylight filter in Nik CEP, removed the tree, and decided that I like the foreground a there is a leading line from the lower RH corner to the rocks on the left side and then to the mountains that I want to preserve. Thanks for all of the suggestions; here is my final version (until the next one!)

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey Jay,
I prefer the final repost best. I also still like the pano crop .....although about a 1/2 inch lower than your pano repost. You did very well creating an image when conditions were less than ideal!

Dave Mills
07-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Jay, agree with Roman on both counts regarding the pano crop and the final repost...

Jay Gould
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Dave, Roman: In the final RP, do you see a magenta cast in the clouds? I don't; it is suggested on NS that it is still there.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
If it is....it is slight and I have seen storm clouds have that color......so i would leave the hint.

Rachel Hollander
07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Jay - I too like the final repost the best. I am not seeing a magenta cast in the clouds but am seeing a slight one in 2 areas of the water - in the fg up along the rocks and then a less prominent area out from the point of the rocks.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Jay, final repost works for me. Good choice to go for the long exposure as not much happening as you mention, but the long exposure makes things happen. Well done!