1D3
300mm 2.8L + 1.4TC II
ISO 1000
f/5.6
1/400
580EXII + better beamer ETTL -2 1/3 stops

carole wiley
07-17-2011, 06:25 PM
nice job on the exposure an d the bird is nice and sharp. If this is a set up, I think I would be tempted to get rid of the branch that goes off to the left.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Joel,

This is a strong image - well done. I like your photography. You show birds in their beautiful state and always a clean background. With these setup shots as you know it is all composition and the perch. You do a great job controlling the background as I mentioned, a distinct advantage of controlling the environment. I agree with carole on left hand twig. Might use healing brush with content aware (CS5) or clone tool.

Willem Verboom
07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I like the sharpness of this beautiful bird. Background works very well on this photo.Great colors.

Willem

Joel Eade
07-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Joel,

This is a strong image - well done. I like your photography. You show birds in their beautiful state and always a clean background. With these setup shots as you know it is all composition and the perch. You do a great job controlling the background as I mentioned, a distinct advantage of controlling the environment. I agree with carole on left hand twig. Might use healing brush with content aware (CS5) or clone tool.

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate the kind words. I had this particular perch set up for small birds when this RBW showed up, can't seem to control who comes to the party all the time!

I like this image because you don't often get to see the "red belly" so well. I did consider removing the branch in CS5 but ultimately decided to keep it as is.

Joel

Brendan Dozier
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Great capture and comp, Joel. The IQ on this is excellent, nice light, rich color, and BG works great. In a way the twig on left kind of balances the comp, but at the same time it does distract just a tad from the bird. Either way, very nice work!

annmpacheco
07-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh goodee! What a beauty and the sharpness is spot on. I'd take it anyday with or without the branch. And the "branch" has maybe a bit of web on it! Colors are terrific.

Kerry Perkins
07-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Joel, I agree with you - very nice job of showing the red on the belly. Super rendition of the bird overall and an excellent image in all respects. The branch is minor to me, I think the image is strong enough to bear it. Good show!

Susan Candelario
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Good capture, Joel! I too would be tempted to remove at least half of the branch on the LLS. But overall I think it's a good image all around.