PDA

View Full Version : Wattle bird & flower

Don Railton
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I walked past this tree this morning on my way to my regular Sunday morning coffee. I noticed the tree was full of Wattle birds feeding on the nectar of the flame tree flowers and very aggressivly defending whatever patch of flower they could. I liked the colour combination of the red flower against the blue sky and so returned with my camera to capture the following...I hope you like it too...

I used the following settings

1D4: 500F4 IS @ F5: 1/2500:Bean bag: ISO 400:AP @ 0 Bias.

DON

annmpacheco
07-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Wow, what a color combo as you said! I would wish for more sharpening, and lightening up the head area. If you are so inclined maybe removing the blur of the tree branch. IMO that removal would make the bird and flower pop much more! TFS ann

Jeff Cashdollar
07-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I like this picture, great day in the life story and action shot. It tells a story and you conveyed their hunger. Great eye and facial expressions. I would take some off the top (maybe left too) thus emphasizing the subject. Of course the background is busy but as you noted on the way for coffee and took a quick shot. Techs look good - well done.

Kerry Perkins
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice catch Don, I like it a lot. I would evict the twig that's just to the left of the tail. I love the red but might tone down the saturation just a tad. Good job of evaluating the light.

John Chardine
07-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I like it too! A bit more depth of field would have been useful but the image is sharp where in absolutely needs to be (the eye!). Love the red and blue tones. I would move the bird to the left by cropping off the left side, and I agree with Kerry that that little branch could be removed if you were looking to a print for your wall.

Oh what I would give for a flower like this to be in full bloom in late winter!!!

Don Railton
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys..

I plan to return this weekend and try again for a shot with more DOF and a cleaner background, weather permitting. I will reduce saturation slightly also as I agree its just a bit strong. I need a calibrate my monitor. John, this tree is interesting (don't know its correct name..) in that it pops out in flower well before the leaves appear, and the best of the blooms are done by the time its gets full cover of leaf. Good for photographing because there is less cover masking the birds.

DON