PDA

View Full Version : Grevy zebra

Hilary Hann
07-17-2011, 03:19 AM
I'm still trying to improve my b&w conversions and thought that this might work. I've 'kind of' followed Peter Delaney's instructions with lots of variations to suit the subject, but it isn't his fault if I've made a botch job of it … lots to learn.
The Grevy's zebra is a extremely endangered but there is a good sized population at Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, Kenya.
7D; 100-400 @ 200; ISO400;f6.3; 1/320

Looking at it again, I feel that perhaps it could do with some extra space at the top but I'd have to fudge it as there isn't any more. :e3

Nancy Bell
07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I could look at zebra stripes all day and those forehead stripes draw me in. But the ears and top of the mane get lost in the background. Maybe a very tight crop of just the head? Or some just cropped off the right side?

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Hilary - zebras are always a good candidate for b&w and you have good isolation of this one with a head on stare. The blacks look a little washed out to me, maybe a bit more contrast?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
07-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Great patterns on that face Hilary and as Rachel noted, zebras are excellent candidates for B/W shots. A little lightening of the shadows brought out a little more detail in the ears and helped separate them from the BG for me (all personal taste though)

Hilary Hann
07-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.