PDA

View Full Version : Mom...carry me!

Nancy Bell
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Photographed in the cold early morning. I increased the contrast in PS since a light mist surrounded the goats at this time. Also, I do not have any more room to the right. After a few steps the baby fell off in a jumble of flying legs. Then mom & baby quietly settled down next to each other. I truly enjoy spending hours with a subject. I feel I get to know some about their behavior and the habitat.

Canon 1D-Mark IV, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, 1/800, f5.6, exp. comp. +1/3, ISO 400, hand held.

C & C most welcome.

Sid Garige
07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Wonderful Image Nancy. Great story and excellent behavior well captured.

Charles Glatzer
07-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Nancy,

This is a wonderfully unique image illustrating behavior rarely if ever captured before.

This is what wildlife photography is all about...Congrats!!!!!

Warm Regards,

Chas

Ofer Levy
07-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Fantastic behaviour shot!! If anything maybe more of a horizontal presentation with more room on the right.

Hilary Hann
07-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Nancy, I really like this image … the kid's pose makes me smile and I've never seen anything like this posted. I think you've kept good detail in the goats' hair and also in the rocks, although I'd love to know what sort of rocks they are as they are very interesting colours.

Roger Clark
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi Nancy,

This is a really great and unusual image. In my thousands and thousands of mountain goat images, I've never seen anything like this. Well done. I would crop a just a little off the left side.

Was this on Mt Evans? The rocks look like Mt Evans.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Nancy - incredible shot of amazing behavior. Obviously it all works and your patience paid off. Congratulations! :5:5

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
07-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Thank you everyone! Yes, this is Mt. Evans. The rocks are granite with lichen on some. Granite is the most abundant type of rock in the Rocky Mountains.

Roger, I was thinking about cropping some off the left side also, especially since I do not have any more I can add on the right.

Lorant Voros
07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
This image is indeed unusual. Very well captured behavior shot. I'd also give some space on the right if it was possible. By the way. I went several times to Mt. Evens when I stayed in Denver with a show....this brings me back some nice memories :-).

Lorant

Morkel Erasmus
07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
What the heck?? :eek:
Fantastic behaviour captured Nancy - love it...agree a little more room to the RHS would've been nice, but I really love this. Do you have any where the kid fell off??

:cheers::5:cheers:

Tin Man Lee
07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Congratulations, Nancy. this is really fantastic and lovely behavior you captured here! Great details. Agree with having more space on the right. Well done!!

Steve Canuel
07-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Cool shot. They do like to climb all over everything don't they.

Marina Scarr
07-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Nancy, this image absolutely rocks. I don't think I would crop any from the left if you don't have more to add to the right, but you can always try it. This image is just amazing!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Wow, unbelievable moment you captured here. I love the interaction and I am sooo jealous you got to see them.:S3: Great work.

Brendan Dozier
07-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Wow, Nancy, this is a wonderful, unique interaction that you captured! Amazing pose, expressions, and love the contrast of color/ textures between the goat's fur and the lichen covered granite. I like the comp very much and space on rt. is minor. You are really in the zone! Congratulations! :cheers:

Jay Gould
07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Nancy, it is a brilliant image - a winner for sure!!

Did you see the baby get onto the mother's back? Please describe if you did see the activity.

Harshad Barve
07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Wonderful Image Nancy. Great story and excellent behavior well captured.

Plus one here , big congrats
TFS

Nancy Bell
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you, thank you for all the compliments!! :S3::S3:

I watched the baby climb onto the mom's back. She was sitting down and the baby wobbled all over her back, examining her horns and trying to keep his balance. After a few minutes it appeared she wearied of being bounced on and stood up. The baby stayed on her back and collasped with legs on either side, the image I captured above. The mom took several steps and the baby eventually fell off with his legs going all which way. Then they both settled down next to each other. I did capture a few images of the baby falling off but cut off the mom's front legs as she moved away.

Tom Redd
07-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Nancy, as said, very cool. I have seen them climb on there backs while the parent is laying down, but never while the parent was standing. Excellent. TFS

DanWalters
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Great timing! Have not seen this behavior yet!