PDA

View Full Version : For the record: Zebra Comparison

Morkel Erasmus
07-16-2011, 05:51 PM
This was taken recently in the Mountain Zebra National Park, South Africa. It was the first time I'd seen a Plains (Burchell's) Zebra (on LHS) next to a Cape Mountain Zebra (RHS) and thought it a good chance to show people the differences in pattern and physique.

It's strange that they can co-exist without cross-breeding, but the Park management are convinced they don't 'cross-pollinate' :t3.

I wish the Cape MZ was sharper but I had only one moment where both heads were lifted and didn't check my settings beforehand.

Tom Graham
07-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Now that is very interesting, well done.
Tom

Hilary Hann
07-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Interesting comparison, shame we can't see the mountain zebra's throat flap more clearly but good to see them side by side. Interestingly, the Burchell's zebra you show is quite different to many I've seen in Kenya … I think that there are a few sub species which show quite different characteristics.
I'm assuming that you don't want a critique and that comment is acceptable? :S3:

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Morkel - nice to see them side by side for comparison and interesting about no cross-breeding. Agree with your self-critique but still a nice capture for illustrative purposes.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
07-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Great comparison image! I knew these were different but never realized just how different. You have motivated me to research some about zebras. Thanks so much for posting.

Morkel Erasmus
07-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the comments, ladies. :t3
Hilary - you are always welcome to critique, though I only posted this for informative purposes as there is not much to the image aesthetically/technically (at least in my eyes :2eyes2:) :e3

Steve Canuel
07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Cool shot Morkel. Always interesting to see the difference among individual stripe patterns, even more so between two different species.

Harshad Barve
07-18-2011, 07:36 AM
very nicely done
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks Steve & Harshad!