PDA

View Full Version : Silver Studded Blue Butterflies

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro tripod ISO 400 1/25 sec f14

I was on the way back home after taking my mother to her home and I just had to pay another quick visit to Prees Heath (one of the few local sites having this species) - hope you like it, all C&C welcome.

Julie Kenward
07-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Jon, I really like this angle on the butterflies. Normally I'd say getting them both parallel to the camera sensor would be a better photo but I really like that we can see more of the "fun" this way. You still managed to keep everything in good focus and got eye contact with both bf's...amazing. Only suggestion would be a more uniform BG - either all dark green or all the lighter/spotted stuff would take this over the top for me.

christopher galeski
07-17-2011, 06:51 AM
very nice image Jonathan,I like that you have both BTFLYS in focus,I agree about the BG.Still very nice image thanks.

Dave Leroy
07-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Your quick visit payed off handsomely.

Excellent behavior shot. I like that both are in focus and the action is still captured. From the look of the bit of oof stock in lower right I imagine it was fairly tight quarters for the shot.

Well done.

Dave

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone, yes it was tight - very! it was also windy I had to grab shots in between gusts.

Steve Maxson
07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Jonathan. This might be your strongest shot yet of these butterflies! I like the even lighting on both butterflies and you did well in the wind to get them both within your DOF. (You might consider a little more selective sharpening on the upper portion of the wings of the right side butterfly.) The background is nicely blurred, but I think that if you toned down the brightest areas, that would put this image over the top! Very well done.

Allen Sparks
07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Jonathan, not much to add to the above comments...nicely done...good focus on each eye especially

OvidiuCavasdan
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I like the composition, very nice details and very good job on DOF. This is a very nice one!

Jonathan Ashton
07-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the C&C everyone, I am currently working on the background but so far I have made a bit of a pig's ear of it, I will repost when I manage a decent attempt.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Jon,
Been away so sorry for the late reply! I think just toning down the BG will really make this shine.....as the rest is fantastic! Another very nice one from you!

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Ok you guys, I have tried desaturating and brushing, just brushing with the paler green, just brushing with the darker green. I have also made the background less bright but I have to confess I have not made a decent job of it. Would anyone care to have a go and then tell me what they did?? Please:c3:

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
OK Jonathan....here's my take. More than I like to normally do but it does give you an idea and options. I lost count after a while.....but my biggest suggestion to you is think smaller.....no really large area corrections but multiple small one. Everything from lowering brightness and contrast on the lightest area....to painting and desaturing and tweaking colors in both color balance and selective color. One of the major things is the use of surface blur......I may even do that first! Don't think one large one.....multiple small ones is key. I do feel this is a lot of work.....but wanted to show you that it is possible.....although I'm not sure I would do quite that much work! I'd rather give it another bunch of attmepts in the field!......instead of all that time behind the computer! Let me know your thoughts though!
PS I see I was a bit sloppy with the blur in some areas.....but you get the idea!

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks very much for your time and effort I really appreciate it and also how you explained your approach. I was performing in exactly the opposite manner - so no surprises then why I was struggling! I will have another look see tomorrow and try to emulate your success.:w3