PDA

View Full Version : Osprey topside bank III

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Here is another osprey topside view from Florida with Doug and Jim, taken from Jim's boat.

1D4 420mm f/5.6 1/2500sec ISO 400.

Randy Stout
07-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Arash:

Excellent dorsal view with fine detail, like the rich colors, nicely exposed. Good eye contact.

Perhaps a sliver oversharpened as I am seeing some subtle jaggies on the spine of some of the primaries. Subtle but visible.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Arash:

Excellent dorsal view with fine detail, like the rich colors, nicely exposed. Good eye contact.

Perhaps a sliver oversharpened as I am seeing some subtle jaggies on the spine of some of the primaries. Subtle but visible.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, sharpness looks great on my screen (hardware calibrated HP 30") , I actually often find your photos a tad soft for my taste so it's either the difference between our screens or perception :)

dankearl
07-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Hard to know how to critique your images, they are so good.
I don't think it looks over sharpened, I would say a bit over saturated.
The browns are just TOO rich and the BG a bit too green.
Other than that, great bank angle, great head turn towards you (do you have a call?), just kidding.
Superb as usual.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Hard to know how to critique your images, they are so good.
I don't think it looks over sharpened, I would say a bit over saturated.
The browns are just TOO rich and the BG a bit too green.
Other than that, great bank angle, great head turn towards you (do you have a call?), just kidding.
Superb as usual.

Dan are you using internet explorer or firefox?

annmpacheco
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Stunning. Always a pleasure to view your BIF's.

dankearl
07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Arash, I use Safari on a Mac desktop.
Don't get me wrong, the photo is beautiful, in nature however, they don't look as deeply rich brown (approaching reddish) as the photograph.
Hard to know what the line is for artistic license and art vs. reality, probably a discussion for another forum.
Just my opinion.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Arash, I use Safari on a Mac desktop.
Don't get me wrong, the photo is beautiful, in nature however, they don't look as deeply rich brown (approaching reddish) as the photograph.
Hard to know what the line is for artistic license and art vs. reality, probably a discussion for another forum.
Just my opinion.

Dan,

I have not changed the saturation, I agree with you that the colors should be as faithful as possible to the original scene and that is what I strive to achieve.
I think you have a color calibration issue, since I saw the magenta cast in your osprey shot here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/86489-Osprey-intimidation If you open the photo in Photoshop and put an eye dropper on the whites you will see that they are not neutral.
Have you calibrated your screen recently? The feathers should not look over saturated, checkout the digital forum for a few excellent threads on how to calibrate your screen. I have a PC so the process is a bit different...Once you perform calibration come back and see if it still looks over saturated to you.

Best,

Sidharth Kodikal
07-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Pretty darned spectacular.
The pose, details and bg separation are just jaw dropping.
The colors look rich and natural to my eyes.
Stunning image Arash.

Ofer Levy
07-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Sharpness and colours look fine to me. Excllent!

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi guys, looks like I forgot to convert to sRGB, I apologize,
This version should look natural on all screens

Enrique Patino
07-15-2011, 11:13 PM
beautiful image Arash. I like the BG in your osprey images. Repost looks better in my Mac also

dankearl
07-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Arash, I calibrated and it looked almost the same.
Your repost looks much better on my screen, it took the "red" out.
Beautiful.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Arash, I calibrated and it looked almost the same.
Your repost looks much better on my screen, it took the "red" out.
Beautiful.

Dan,
I just converted to sRGB, the original was in Adobe RGB, some screens (especially laptops) cannot display Adobe RGB colors correctly. Thanks for making me check the color profile.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
beautiful image Arash. I like the BG in your osprey images. Repost looks better in my Mac also

Interesting looks like this is an issue with Mac versus PC display profiling. on my screen the original looks closest to the scene as I saw it with the repost somewhat muted due to limited sRGB gamut.

Can someone else with a mac also confirm the original looks red/unnatural?

Sidharth Kodikal
07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Hmm, on my PC, the original looked perfect and the repost looks rather muted.
I just checked my mac, and the original does look reddish, but the repost looks perfect.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Hmm, on my PC, the original looked perfect and the repost looks rather muted.
I just checked my mac, and the original does look reddish, but the repost looks perfect.

hum...this is interesting I wonder what causes the issue? Ofer also uses a PC and he mentioned colors looked good in the orig.

Enrique Patino
07-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Arash,
Sent you a PM with pictures running Mac OS (w/ safari) and windows XP (w/ firefox) parallel on a MacBook Pro - I used the print screen function for comparison... but do not know if you will see the diff...

Enrique

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Arash,
Sent you a PM with pictures running Mac OS (w/ safari) and windows XP (w/ firefox) parallel on a MacBook Pro - I used the print screen function for comparison... but do not know if you will see the diff...

Enrique

Hey Enrique,
Thanks for your PM! It is really strange, I need to do my homework and solve this puzzle. For now please look at whichever one is more natural. something strange here...

Sidharth Kodikal
07-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Arash, I opened your OP on my mac, and according to PS and "Preview", the color space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1

arash_hazeghi
07-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Arash, I opened your OP on my mac, and according to PS and "Preview", the color space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Thanks Sid, I have to do my homework and find what is causing this...Windows installed some updates today could be that it screwed up with color profiles when installing a new monitor/printer driver.

Thanks for all the feedback

christopher galeski
07-16-2011, 03:35 AM
one word excellent,the detail brilliant,like them both,first post the browns a lot richer,repost to me ,is more natural.thanks.

Karl Egressy
07-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Magical shot. I would say one of your best but you have so many best, Arash.

Daniel Cadieux
07-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Just to put another variance in it...on my PC (browser = IE8) the repost is much better. Awesome pose...and I prefer the small blue spot in ULC cropped out as in the OP.

Kiran Poonacha
07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
The repost works great Bhai, loved the pose very much here.. great work..:cheers:

Sachin Saraf
07-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Excellent capture Arash...repost looks good.

Jamie Douglas
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Repost looks bettter. Stunning shot Arash

Dumay de Boulle
07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Great image Arash, the 3D feel is great.

Sid Garige
07-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Arash,

One of the best images I have seen from Blue Cypress.

Giovanni Frescura
07-16-2011, 04:04 PM
The shoot is very ok and also bk. For my pc the colour are ok and all is very very interesting

Morkel Erasmus
07-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Arash I also use FireFox and IMHO the OP is much better, has some real 'oomph' to it!
Gorgeous banking pose, sharpness and the head-turn takes it to another level.:bg3:

yogesh_puranik
07-16-2011, 10:17 PM
hi arash excellent image nice pose and eye contact..i have windoes laptop..original looks very colourful and repost looks slight dull//i am using google chrome

arash_hazeghi
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you all for the comments, the issue what with the monitor, I fixed it.

Appreciate the feedback

Wynand van Wyk
07-17-2011, 03:56 AM
O wow, this is brilliant!! Love the in flight pose and beautiful background. I also use Firefox, and agree on the OP being better.

Truly a spectacular in flight captured! Love it.:S3:

Marina Scarr
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Killer osprey pose, Arash. Love the way he turned his head to look right at you. Nice and sharp and love the colors. Repost does look better.