PDA

View Full Version : Kaikoura, New Zealand Waterfront #2

Jay Gould
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Hi, this is the companion to the first image; this is shot wider. Which do you prefer and why?

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 8 May 11; 3:14PM
Light condition: late afternoon sun
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 3 7mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs
Crop: minimal from bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

PS: Roman, applied suggestions made to last image to this image too. :w3

dankearl
07-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Another nice one.
I would maybe lighten it a tad, especially the mountains as I think it would add some definition to them.
Not a big fan of the yellow sunlight on the far right, it doesn't seem to fit with the colors and the mood.
The water texture is just right to me, not too slow SS, keeps contrast and a sense of movement.

Jay Gould
07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi Dan, interestingly the raw image also had that yellow line of color significantly different from the rest of the reds etc. I think I will try a very light lightening of the mtns, and a very light darkening of the yellow to tone it down. I will wait to see what others offer before doing the RP. Thanks for your comments.

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Jay - I think I prefer the last one to this one. The clouds here seem to have an unnatural blue-green cast to them. In general this seems a little "overcooked" to me, almost like you were trying to create a violent storm with the ss swirling the water, the colors and the darkness of the image. Sorry, just MHO. The other image remains one of my favorites of yours, I especially like the crashing wave and there's a much softer feel to that image. This one feels violent.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi, First and foremost, never every be sorry of your opinions!! The more the better; the stronger the better.

Interestingly, in the two minutes between #1 and #2 the water in the RAW image went from the brown family to the green family. Could be due to the wider angle of view and the change of color in the sky.

Yes, this was intended to be more violent. I could see that the boat was pitching quite significantly; there was a strong wind.

Could be overcooked a bit and I will take that into account in the RP. Thanks!!

Jay Gould
07-16-2011, 06:30 AM
I removed the boat and slightly darkened the yellow sky on the RHS. I played with lightening the mountains; didn't work for me.

Dave Mills
07-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi Jay, I liked your original and the repost. Since this is a wider view the boat carries less significance within the image and unaffected by the removal. The stormy weather is the story and strongly conveyed. The framing on both is well handled along with the moment of capture. Good eye and technically well handled!!

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey Jay,
Sorry for the late reply but I was away and out of computer contact for a while! I prefer the first version although the repost is very good also.....as Dave mentioned....wider view, the boat became minimalizes so no big deal it was evicted! For me, the preference for the first was because I liked the rock placement, size, shape in the first and how they flowed in the image. In this one, the RH one is bugging me just a bit.....not horible.....just prefer the formations in the first post.
Still a very nice series and great job implementing some of the suggestions!

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Jay, also sorry for late reply. I too prefer the original, love the sky the rocks and the ocean's movement. I do like the boat removed. If it were mine I would go with pane #1 with the boat evicted. Very nice capture!