PDA

View Full Version : Wallowing Break

Steve Canuel
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Caught this one last month as this guy took a look around during a break from his dirt bath. It had been snowing about 10 minutes before this shot. 7D, 1-400L, f6.3, 1/5000s, ISO 400, + .33 EC, HH, about 65% vertical from horizontal original.

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Always nice to review your images Steve, as they are always packed with interest & detail and this is no exception. My only wish would be for more room to the LHS and not to have clipped the body and being really 'picky' the rock behind the goat. :w3 The slight slope of the BG adds a nice bit of interest.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Steve - nicely done. Good detail and a nice soft look to the fur/hair. I'm with Steve K on more room on the lhs if you have it and evicting the rock. Overall, a very pleasing image.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey Steve, good eye level perspective, and I like how you have left space on the right to look into. Excellent job on both the whites and detail, and overall nice and sharp too. Were you out your vehicle when you captured this, due to the eye level capture ?

Steve Canuel
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Steve, Rachel, and Stuart,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had this one composed with him looking down and to the left (as viewed) when he turned his head uphill. There's plenty of room on the left side but there's also a couple more rocks.
Stuart,
I had parked the car and was out and about doing some hiking when I spotted these (only saw three total that day during my 6 hr excursion). I watched them for awhile through binoculars to get an idea of where they were headed then went and planted myself on some rocks and waited. Took about half an hour for them to get close enough for pics (they were taking their time and grazing) but it makes it worth the wait and effort when you get a few decent shots and they actually lay down and take naps with you there.

Hilary Hann
07-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Great IQ Steve, lovely detail showing in the goat and I like the contrast between the vegetation and the far distant background. Like the POV and how you show the amazing coats of these animals.

Roger Clark
07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
HI Steve,

Nice closeup. I like the composition, and it doesn't bother me at all about the slight cut off on the right hand side. Was this on Mt Evans? If so, the color balance seems off, as the goat is too white. See Nancy's images which shows their yellow color.

Roger

Steve Canuel
07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments Hilary and Roger,

Roger,
I did lighten this one a touch to help even out the shadows but of the three that I encountered this day only one had a distinctly yellow coat. This was also taken at 2:30 pm as the sun was poking through holes in the clouds so I suspect that may have helped wash out any hints of yellow in the coat. Here's a crop of the unprocessed RAW.

Morkel Erasmus
07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Steve. Can't add much to the critiques above, but I do concur with Steve K that it's always a treat opening up your images. Do you have any of these in landscape format?

Steve Canuel
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Morkel. Good to know that people enjoy looking at them. I did get other landscape formats of this one both looking down the slope and actually wallowing in the hole.

Harshad Barve
07-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Gotta love this , top class
TFS