PDA

View Full Version : Guarding the Nest

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Another osprey from the North Fork of Long Island. This is a different nest and osprey from my last few posts. Taken in the morning. Not possible to get further left or in front of the osprey due to the location of the nest.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/2000
f6.3
ISO 400
EC +2/3
HH, cropped from horizontal to vertical (ideally might have taken some off the top but afraid of IQ suffering with further crop), selective s/h adjustment and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Bob Miller
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi Rachel....nice capture of mother and baby! I like the pose and the claws are shown off nicely. You might consider cropping some from the top and lightening up the eye area. Nice work!

Kerry Perkins
07-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Rachel, always nice to capture a family moment! I think Bob's suggestions are good. It might be nice to lighten the near wing a bit also to bring out a little more detail. I love the little one peeking out of the nest.

John Chardine
07-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Hi Rachel- Ospreys are often difficult because they are so high up. At 400mm you can be farther away and the angle isn't so bad. I would take a bit off the top because I don't think all that sky adds much. The image looks a little soft on my monitor so I would try another round of sharpening to see if the image responds.

Rachel Hollander
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'll play with it a bit.

Rachel