PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Vulture

John Harper
03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi There

Well the weather finally beat me this weekend, so I am spending some time today looking at images taken over the Easter weekend. The shot above is of a Hooded Vulture in a sweeping turn, captured from the new tiered seating at HCT.

Now these birds get really low.....I had one clip my lens hood on the 500mm and I had to duck to miss a couple of others, as they were flying in windy conditions and got caught by unexpected gusts.

Still it all adds to the fun :)

John

EOS 1DMKIII
EF 500 F4L
ISO 800
1/2500 @ F4.5

Alfred Forns
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Still can't get over that place John !!!!

Love the banking pose and what a complementing bg !!!! Might try selecting the red around the beak and saturating a bit more? Might give a little more room top bottom but do like the horizontal crop Excellent image !!!

Lana Hays
03-29-2008, 01:29 PM
John
I like the composition with this one and really enjoy the pose. I think I'd saturate the red a bit more as well. I find the BG pretty interesting but I might be tempted to blur just a tad more.....don't know if that would work or make it look artificial. I loved the part about how close they get.......I think I'd have trouble photographing......I'd be too intent on watching and feeling the breeze of the passing bird.

Dave Phillips
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
exceptional angle John...beautiful and graceful looking for a vulture

Axel Hildebrandt
03-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Great pose and details! Amazing how flat they look in this position. I might blur the BG a bit more.

James Salywoda
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Awesome shot !!!!!

Gus Cobos
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Very nice capture John, looks like something out of a Star Wars movie.. Love that tight flight angle...:D