PDA

View Full Version : Uluru in the rain

Hilary Hann
07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
For my 13 yo daughter who asked whether I would post for critique one of her recent images of Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the rain. Around 2% of visitors ever see rain over Uluru, so it is quite a rare sighting. Unfortunately, she was with friends and only had a small point and shoot so she had little control over settings, but the final crop and pp is under her direction and she would like to know how she managed. Almost full frame.
Sony S2000; ISO100; f3.1; 1/80; 6.2mm

Now she will do some C&C on other photos (against her wishes! :bg3:)

dankearl
07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Keep her away from your good lens if you want to be the best photographer in the family!
Very nice, obviously not the greatest IQ with a P&S, but not bad, nice DOF, maybe a bit more saturation and contrast.

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Steph - good eye and I like the way you have composed this with the water criss-crossing through the image. The single green tree and fog/mist really add to the image IMO. Keep shooting and ask your mom to borrow her equipment some times.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Steph, I know what you should ask for at "presents" time!!

The hint of red says Uluru; I like it.

Keep posting and remember -- 1: 5 like Mom says! :t3

Dave Mills
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Hillary, just back from 3 weeks in France with some jet lag. This is a very interesting image to view due to the forms and weather conditions. I like the tight framing with just enough water at the base. The mist at the top adds another positive element. Your daughter did an excellent job with an unusual place...

Bob Decker
07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
There is a nice variety of layers in this image which add depth and interest. Add the surprise greenery just peeking back at the viewer from an almost hidden position and the nice textures of the rock and this is a real winner. Good job Steph!

Hilary Hann
07-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks everyone, Steph is very excited to be getting replies and has already mapped out her next lot of photos to post. If that is the case she can spend her pocket money and join up herself. She's talking Avian, but no way I can help her there!! :bg3: Fortunately, she loves landscapes so this may be 'her' forum.

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Hey Steph and Hilary,
I was away so sorry for the late reply but welcome to the forum Steph! Excellent first post and given the equipment, you handled the comp very well. I do think the top can get toned down a bit but realize that it may be a bit blown out because of the difficulty the P&S would have handling the tonal range so I decided on a crop. I felt it did two things: 1. took the falls a bit more off center to make a more pleasing angle and minimizes the sky while still keeping the mood in. I took some off the base too to keep the proportions yet minimize most of the more uninteresting areas. Only other thing I did was selectively brighten the tree.....to give it a bit more prominance int he comp. Any way you look at it these were easy tweaks and you did a great job for your first post! I would love to hear back from you on how you feel about the different version!

PS If you can get more of the detail in the fog up top back in.....I would not crop up there as much.

Hilary Hann
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Thank you Roman, Steph is off with her father today working as a photographer's assistant (school holidays) but I'll show her your repost this evening. I had to explain that you only get c&c for the first day and then the new images are the centre of attention, so she will be excited to get another review.
Unfortunately there isn't any more detail in the clouds, so your re-crop minimises the lack of detail nicely. How I wish I'd been there with my 5d2! :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
A little late Hilary and Steph, but love this first post. Also like Roman's repost too! Agree with Jay on what Steph should ask for at "presents time" :bg3: